Topic: Rogue Amoeba installed with RME drivers?

Hi everyone,

I decided to jump on the beta drivers for my M1 Macbook Pro and my RME UFX so I decided to bring  my System Integrity Security settings back to Full.

Once I restarted, I received a prompt that an extension called Rogue Amoeba cannon work unless I switch my System Integrity settings back.

I have never installed something from this developer and have none of their software on my system.

The only extension that required a change of System Integrity settings was the RME Driver with the Kernel extension.

That's why I thought if asking here whether you know if this extension is at all related to RME (or if you have any other explanation on what it could have installed it).

It's pretty bizarre and I am a bit concerned to find an extension on my Macbook that I never installed.

Would love to hear your thoughts on this.

Re: Rogue Amoeba installed with RME drivers?

Rogue Amoeba is well known - Google it. And yes, you must have installed it at one point.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by Dom 2022-12-24 15:04:51)

H

MC wrote:

Rogue Amoeba is well known - Google it. And yes, you must have installed it at one point.

Hi Matthias,

I have already Googled it but cannot find any connection with any software I have installed.
And the only reference from Google that matches what I have is mentions on this RME Forum.
This Macbook is brand new and I have curated everything that went into it.

That's why I thought I'd ask. smile

Google points straight to RA's homepage and a list of their popular apps. Did you search for those apps on your Mac? RA seems to have updated them recently so doing an update the error message then should be gone as well...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Dom wrote:

I have already Googled it but cannot find any connection with any software I have installed.

Doesn't "Audio Hijack Pro" ring a bell?

If you install that, and afterwards move the app to the trash, the background driver remains.

At least, that's how it worked when I last used it, many moons ago.

It shows up in audio settings, errors and a few other places, and IIRC, also under funny names.

In fact, 3rd-party audio routing software seems to make a habit of using different names for different parts of the software. Confusing if you think you only use OBS (for streaming video) or even just Audacity...

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...

cyrano wrote:
Dom wrote:

Doesn't "Audio Hijack Pro" ring a bell?

If you install that, and afterwards move the app to the trash, the background driver remains.

At least, that's how it worked when I last used it, many moons ago.

It shows up in audio settings, errors and a few other places, and IIRC, also under funny names.

In fact, 3rd-party audio routing software seems to make a habit of using different names for different parts of the software. Confusing if you think you only use OBS (for streaming video) or even just Audacity...

No, I've never installed Audio Hijack.

But the support from Rogue Amoeba were excellent, they sent me a list of developers that use part of their licenses and I figured out what it was!

For anyone who's wondering as well, it's iZotope's AudioLens smile

That's interesting info, I wasn't aware that such licensing even exists.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Neither was I, so thanks for that bit of info!

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...

That's really odd as I have several Rogue apps installed and never had issues with RME drivers or apps, using both BabyFace Pro and ADI-2 Pro.  Works on iMac and MacBook Pro running Ventura.  I also have most of the Isotope software installed on both Macs and haven't had issues.  Anything else that could be going on here?