1 (edited by Notherman 2024-01-16 21:42:22)

Topic: Using ADI2/4-Pro in conjunction with UFX+ for an analog chain

I guess this gets asked a lot but for the love of me I can't find any help for my specific case.

I have an RME UFX+ that is the "centerpiece" for my desk. I run a lot of stuff in and out of it. I've recently got an ADI2/4-Pro to act as a mastering AD/DA converter that I would like to use together with the UFX. Is it possible to route digital stuff out of the UFX into the ADI for the mastering AD/DA and then back from the ADI into the UFX with ADAT for example?

Imagine this chain:

UFX+ ADAT 1/2 out -> ADI2/4 ADAT in -> ADI2/4 Analog out
ADI2/4 Analog out -> mastering chain
mastering chain -> ADI2/4 analog in
ADi2/4 analog in -> ADI2/4 ADAT out -> UFX ADAT 1/2 in

All the while having the second pair of outputs of the ADI2/4 run my monitors via AES.

I've read lots of posts about using the ADI in a mastering context requiring it to be in USB mode and having to choose the ADI as the playback engine in Pro Tools for example, but I really don't want to do that. I want to use the UFX+ as the playback engine, as I run other analog gear through that when mixing, and only want to use the ADI for anything I stick on the master buss. Is this possible? I also use the ARC USB into the UFX+ as a volume controller, which is controlling the amount I'm sending through AES into the ADI that goes into my speakers.

What confuses me is that in the ADI-2 remote program I can choose the digital sources for the outputs, eg. AES for the "Line Out" outputs in my case, but there's nothing for the "Line In". Where can I determine where that goes to?

Please do excuse my ignorance if you believe this should be clear as day, but together with the stress of relocating into a new room, I just need someone to hold my hand while I go through this mess. Thanks.

FireFace UFX III
MacBook Pro M1 Pro (Sonoma)

2 (edited by KaiS 2024-01-16 22:38:39)

Re: Using ADI2/4-Pro in conjunction with UFX+ for an analog chain

In ADI-2/4 Pro SE’s AD-DA Converter Mode (manual page 41) it‘s possible to address all 4 DA output channels from the digital inputs separately.

In your case, use ADAT Optical for the 1st stereo DA pair, and AES for the 2nd.

This would integrate ADI-2/4 Pro SE into UFX+’s TotalMix.

ADI-2/4 Pro SE’s analog AD in appears on all digital outs, Optical, Coax and AES.

Thanks so much KaiS for your help, although I need a bit more. I feel like the U/I of both the unit and the control software is confusing in the sense that I choose between Line In, Line Out, Phones 1/2 and Phones 3/4. I'm sure this is somewhere in the manual, but if it'd be possible to get some step by step guides on how to get:

The AES signal out of the XLR-outs
The ADAT signal out of the TRS-outs
And the Line In out through ADAT.

At the moment, whatever I seem to try, and whatever toggles I switch and whatever input signal I choose, the AES signal that is going into "Line Out" is then being driven through both the XLR and the TRS out's as well. I see this as the ADAT in on the UFX+.

If I could anyhow just copy someones settings from pictures that have the correct settings for my goal setup, that's be so very nice. Again, I'm wanting to run the monitors out of the XLR-outs via AES, my hardware chain out of the TRS outs via ADAT, and then have the analog inputs go to ADAT.

Thanks for all the help.

FireFace UFX III

4 (edited by KaiS 2024-01-17 21:50:23)

Notherman wrote:

…step by step guides on how to get:

The AES signal out of the XLR-outs
The ADAT signal out of the TRS-outs
And the Line In out through ADAT.

• Unplug USB, else it will dominate the clock.

• SETUP / Options / Device Mode/DSD / Basic Mode: AD/DA.

• SETUP / Options / Device Mode/DSD / Dig. Out Source: Default

• SETUP / Options / Clock / Clock Source: Auto or AES or SPDIF (not INT).
Clock needs to be slave to UFX+.

• SETUP / Options / SPDIF/Remap Keys / SPDIF In: Optical.

• SETUP / Options / SPDIF/Remap Keys / Optical Out: ADAT.

• I/O / Line Output 1/2 / Settings / AD/DA Source: AES.

• I/O / Phones Out 3/4 / Settings / Source: SPDIF.

• I/O / Phones Out 3/4 / Settings / Rear TRS Source: Ph. 3/4.

5 (edited by Notherman 2024-01-18 21:46:51)

KaiS,

Thank you so much, I think that has just done it!! I really, really appreciate the help. I was under the thought that this could be easily configured via the control app, but it turns out I overlooked the USB connection making things difficult. Maybe this can be addressed in a future update of the app, but for now I believe I'm set. I had it all under control under control until the very last step: • I/O / Phones Out 3/4 / Settings / Rear TRS Source: Ph. 3/4. I wonder if I overlooked something in the control app that might've done this for me. Oh well, all good now!

Cheers KaiS!

FireFace UFX III