1 (edited by Sciss 2024-01-21 20:05:43)

Topic: Please add DAW routing to on-device controls (CC mode) of Babyface

Hi there,

in my brain, the Babyface Pro FS always functions as a 4-in 4-out device, and so I had planned a particular live electronic piece. Only after deciding that I could run it with the Babyface, I noticed that the headphones out (in my brain Out 3/4) was actually a mix of all DAW channels, so in the case it would output DAW 1+3 on the left channel and DAW 2+4 on the right channel. Somehow I thought that since you can tune the input mixing matrix on the device itself, the same must be true for the DAW channels.

So in the next step, I was looking desperately for an old Mac around to be able to set the Analog Out 3/4 to ONLY DAW 3/4. Ok, did that in TotalMix, returned to my live (Linux) computer. Bummer: when returning to CC mode, the custom routing of the TotalMix had been lost, and the machine reverted to default mix.

I think being able to get 4 discrete computer signals out of the Babyface in CC mode would be *highly* valuable. Since the input mixing on the device is already a bit cryptic, I don't see why one couldn't add a fix to select the computer inputs for Analog Out 3/4 on the device, too, using a specific combination of buttons. What do you think?

To complete the story, I managed to get the independent outputs with the spark of thought: Since I'm programming anyway (SuperCollider), I added the phase-reversed signals of DAW 1/2 to DAW 3/4, so that whatever I send to the Analog Out 1/2, it would cancel out on the headphones mix. This worked great, so here it is for anyone who wishes to accomplish the same thing, but of course it's quite a hack.

Best, .h.h.