Topic: Fireface 802 and Digiface Dante compatibility

Hi there,

I am running a multi-room studio. On the top floor I have the control room and a live recording room.
On the bottom floor I also have a live room intending for larger set ups. Both floors are ideally in sync to record both spaces simultaneously (for large bands and flexibility with instrument isolation)

The top floor live room has an 8 in 4 out stage box running into an Audient ASP800 with 8 channels sending via ADAT to a Fireface 802 - both are in the control room. The Fireface is then connected to an iMac over usb. 

For the downstairs area, I have a 12 mic-D and Tascam ML-16D running into the control room via ethernet connected to a network switch. This switch is then connected to the iMac via its ethernet port.

All is working except for the 10ms latency that is coming from the iMac.

I am intending to have all monitoring through TotalMix and have the Fireface 802 in sync with the RME 12-Mic D downstairs - bypassing the processing time needed for DAW use.

Would it work if I have a Digiface Dante interface that connects the Fireface 802 over Co-ax (world clock) and have the 12 mic D connect to the Digiface over ethernet?

Ideally I would want monitoring control over all inputs from the 12 Mic D and the Fireface 802.

For monitoring, I have an 8 channel Headphone Amp on each floor.
The bottom floor has the inputs of the Headphone Amp connected to the Tascam ML16D which is routed through Dante.

I think this should work, however I might be missing something crucial... just wanted to check!

Thank you

Re: Fireface 802 and Digiface Dante compatibility

Would it work if I have a Digiface Dante interface that connects the Fireface 802 over Co-ax (world clock) and have the 12 mic D connect to the Digiface over ethernet?

If I understand correctly, you'd want to add the existing FireFace 802 with Dante Via, synchronize it via Word Clock to Dante, and then use TotalMix of a Digiface Dante to do the mixing. At the cost of 10ms latency that Dante Via introduces if your mix includes paths to the FireFace 802 inputs/outputs (that means, if you route the output of a device to the Fireface 802, and/or its return path to the Digiface Dante).

Yes, technically it seems that this could work - this depends on the performance and stability of Dante Via (I have not tested this myself). Maybe someone who's doing this in the forum can chime in to report his experiences with that on macOS.