Topic: Connecting ADI-2 Pro fs r to Craneborn 500ADAT and RME Babyface pro

My goal is to utilize my ADI 2 pro fs for my monitoring and AD/DA conversion, utilize my babyface pro fs as my interface and for the benefits of TotalMix fx, and integrate my Craneborne adat500 for hybrid mixing. I want to make sure that I'm connecting everything properly using the adat ports on all three pieces of gear or if I need to incorporate a different type of connection in order for everything to properly sync. I currently have my Babyface pro adat in going to my Adi 2 pro adat out, the Cranborne adat in going into my Babyface pro adat out, and my Adi 2 pro fs r adat in going to the Cranborne adat500s adat out. The way that I had it before was the adat in and out of the babyface pro to the adat1 in and 1out of the cranborne and the adat in and out of the adi-2 pro to the adat2 in and 2out of the cranborne with the goal of keeping the adi-2 pro as the primary clock source. since the adi and the babyface both have the same clocking I guess it wouldn't matter which is master but I want to make sure I don't lose my conversion through the adi 2 pro fs. I can hear audio through my adi when it's connected both ways. Im hoping that someone has experience with this and understands what I'm trying to achieve so that I don't have to guess. there aren't really any videos on how to connect an Adat 500 series rack to an audio interface and a mastering converter all through Adat. I did consider AES but I don't think I can connect the babyface pro through AES. Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

2 (edited by waedi 2023-07-30 21:44:09)

Re: Connecting ADI-2 Pro fs r to Craneborn 500ADAT and RME Babyface pro

Go from Babyface to the ADI-2 and from there to the Cranborne and from there back to the Babyface.
Set up the AdI-2 to Digital through mode.

Page 42 user manual ADI-2 Pro

17.5 Digital Through Mode
This additional mode is a manual option only, it is not available via Basic Mode Auto. It has to be activated manually by selecting Basic Mode – Dig Thru.
The purpose of the Digital Through Monitor is exactly what its name describes. A single digital input signal is passed through the unit and can be monitored on the analog outputs at the same time. Automatic clock and source selection of the digital inputs plus internal D to D routing allows to insert and monitor AES, SPDIF or ADAT signals. With ADAT only channels 1/2 are monitored, but all 8 channels are passed through. (Exactly what you are asking for. Isn't that cool !)

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Indeed it is and thank you. I did read that and I had it that way but in my uncertainty, I changed it. I read that in the manual but didn't fully understand what it meant and didn't know if taking my converter out of AD/DA mode and putting It in digital through mode would lose the conversion benefits as I'm using it as a mastering converter as well as my monitoring. I'm assuming that as long as I connect all the Adat-ins to the correct place that it will only leave one way to connect the outs. I appreciate your help. This is my introduction to a hybrid setup, I can't test it yet because my 500 series modules haven't arrived yet.

Nothing to lose. The converter remains in it's full functionality and quality.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Update from Synthax via email: "Hello Dontavious,

Unfortunately this is not going to work in the way you expect. The Craneborne and the ADI-2 each need their own set of I/O to work properly. The Babyface Pro does not have enough digital expansion for this to work.

Instead, I would recommend replacing the Babyface with one of the Fireface models. With the Fireface UCX II, you can connect the Craneborne to the ADAT I/Os and then also connect the ADI-2 Pro to the AES or SPDIF (stereo) connections.

Best regards,
Jeff Petersen
Technical Support"

I was hoping for a work around. I even have the ADI connected via analog inputs to the Cranborne mix outputs and I have sound but the ADI is operating in preamp mode. I guess there is a difference.

I would have recommended a larger interface here as well, just to add more structure to the setup and also allow for double-speed recording, just as Jeff recommends.

But I don't understand what Jeff is saying exactly why that wouldn't work.

Maybe just give it a try, the proof of the pudding is in the eating and report back, whether its working this way.

You can use either Craneborn or BBF Pro as clock master.

a) Using the BBF Pro as clock master has the advantage, that switching between 44.1 and 48 kHz will happen automatically, controlled by the DAW/application.

b) Using Craneborn as clock master might have the bigger benefit that A/D conversion might benefit from using Craneborn's own clock for the conversion. Babyface Pro FS and ADI-2 Pro FS are excellent clock slaves by SteadyClock FS technology and will reduce/remove any clock jitter. The ADI-2 Pro FS's will use it's own FS clock even if it is clock slave because of it's special design.

As waedi told, try ADI-2 Pro in digital through mode .. the worst thing that can happen is, that it works this way.

BBF Pro FS---ADAT OUT--------->ADAT IN---ADI-2 Pro---ADAT OUT--------->ADAT1 IN---Craneborn
                    ADAT IN<--------------------------------------------------------------ADAT1 OUT

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Just here to give you guys an update. Everything is working perfectly in the same way it did when I only had the BBF Pro and the Cranborne ADAT500 connected via ADAT without the ADI-2 Pro connected. Thank you for the help, the digital through is working great. Im assuming I'm still getting the clocking and the conversion through the BBF for mixing and mastering purposes. Again thank you for your help, I can wait a while now before I upgrade to the Fireface UCX II.

Future update. I eventually did purchase the Fireface Ucx II. I now have my ADI-2 Pro fs r connected to the Fireface UCX II via AES/EBU and my FireFace connected to my Cranborn 500ADAT expander vis Toslink. TotalMix handles all of the routing. One thing I am interested in is how to best utilize the analog inputs on the back of the ADI-2 Pro and ways to optimize my setup. Any ideas or suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

In ADI-2 Pro‘s AD-DA Converter Mode (manual page 41) ADI-2‘s analog AD input appears on all digital outs, Optical, Coax and AES.

• Connect ADI-2‘s AES Out to UCX II‘s AES In.

• Unplug ADI-2’s USB, else it will dominate it‘s clock.

• SETUP / Options / Device Mode/DSD / Basic Mode: AD/DA.

• SETUP / Options / Device Mode/DSD / Dig. Out Source: Default

• SETUP / Options / Clock / Clock Source: Auto or AES (not INT).
Clock needs to be slave to UCX II.

• I/O / Line Output 1/2 / Settings / AD/DA Source: AES.