1 (edited by JohnnyMindlin 2024-01-24 13:13:11)

Topic: How to stop mic audio going to the DAW

Hi,
I have 2 mics attached to my RME BabyFace Pro F5: one is in the recording booth and the other is at my desk, outside the recording booth.
I want to record on mic only (mute one channel), without re-setting the record channels on the DAW (it's fiddly).
There is a mute button on the channel in TotalMix and a similar button, top right. Both are clicked and lit but that does not change the signal going to the DAW - It still can "hear" / record both mics.
Is there an easy way, in TotalMix, to stop one mic channel or another from going to the DAW?
Thanks,
Johnny

Re: How to stop mic audio going to the DAW

Better prepare in the DAW two mono tracks one for each mic.
In Totalmix you could switch off 48V if the mics are condenser mics.
The mute button don't mute the input signal to the DAW.
In Totalmix there is no way to stop one mic from reaching the DAW.
Switching off one mic with a hand-switch adapter might be an option ?
https://www.thomann.de/de/jts_ma_sw.htm

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

3 (edited by S9DD 2024-01-24 19:57:13)

The Mute button in TotalMix only controls the internal hardware Aux sends to hardware outputs (at least, that is the case on the UFX).  It has no impact in your DAW - the input will always be available to software as an audio input.  So you want to be in your DAW to solve this.

In your DAW, you should only be able to hear that track when:
a) you are in playback, and prevoiusly recorded audio is played to you
b) you ARM the track, in which case you can usually monitor the input while the transport is stopped
c) you are recording, and the ARMed track is set up to monitor live input in the track settings

Most DAWs have controls governing these options, as there are situations when you might not want normal operation (eg, sometimes you will be monitoring separately, and only want the other tracks playing as a cue, and not what you are recording as an overdub.)

Hard to be sure without further info, but it sounds like it is something to do with how you are monitoring inputs in your DAW, so I would play with those settings, and see where you get to. 

You should have two sets of monitoing controls if you are using two mono tracks for recording.  Since these settings are push button options, they should not upset whatever balance you have set in terms of gains and volumes on each input. 

Hope that makes sense.

Thank you everyone.
It's helpful to have that clarified, albeit the fact is frustrating.
At least now I know what I'm dealing with.
I'll work something out.
Johnny