Topic: Baby Face Pro FS Stereo Out through a single XLR?

Apologies if this has been covered somewhere already - it does seem like an obvious topic to those not massively steeped in however things switches between different cable types and transmission formats, but I'm not finding something to address this head on....

I have both headphones and monitors. The headphones generally work just as I would expect them to via the ¼" phones jack. I have previously ran my monitors out the other phones jack, but both of those jacks get the same mix (or, at least, I can't figure out how to split them - seems an oversight since lesser interfaces offer that). I want to be able to go to one, the other, or both and, at times, have them receive different mixes. "No worries" I thought, I would just push a signal out the XLR of #1 out. Unfortunately, when I do that, I seem to be getting only mono to the monitors. My impression from TotalMix is that I'm getting stereo out, but I'm thinking that's really 1 is left and 2 is right. I don't want to give up both of those outs, so I'm trying to understand whether I am missing something about the situation or if I just need to suck it up and either give up that out or lose my ability for separate volume control and mix between the phones and the monitors.

One possible other source of the problem is the XLR to dual male ¼" cable. It claims stereo separation between the two ¼" and is well rated, but at least one other reviewer of that cable indicated his didn't support stereo.

I'm hoping one of the more true masters here can put me on a clear path to a solution. The monitors, unfortunately, do not have a direct XLR in - RCA, direct wire into onboard clips, or TRS are my only options. I'd like to avoid replacing those near new monitors in the near term. Space is limited in the booth they are in and they are among the best rated of the smaller format monitors available. At the end of the day though, I'm looking for the shortest path to a solution that separates my phones and monitors given the Babyface Pro RS as my interface.

All constructive input is appreciated. I'm a geek at heart, so if you're someone that likes to elaborate on the "why" of a response, that's fantastic too. I'm not unknowledgable in cabling, but I'm not remotely an expert either and this has an intersection of several different things where my understanding can handle most of the concerns I have, but this has too much nuance to it with the mix of inputs, TotalMix, the available outputs of the BFP FS, the connector type changes, etc., so I'll admit to feeling pretty lost on this one.

2 (edited by waedi 2024-01-25 00:50:44)

Re: Baby Face Pro FS Stereo Out through a single XLR?

2 cables from the 2 XLR outputs 1 and 2 to the speakers left and right, then you can listen stereo music.
The two headphone outputs on the side have the same signal, the speakers can have a different signal, what ever you route in Totalmix to there.
That cable XLR to 2xTS may work for stereo depending on the device.
Usually two XLR sockets mean 2 x mono for 1 stereo, in the Babyface this is the case.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

waedi wrote:

2 cables from the 2 XLR outputs 1 and 2 to the speakers left and right, then you can listen stereo music.

Yeah, that's what I was concerned the answer was going to be. XLR is capable of carrying stereo, but that isn't usually the way it's done, so hardly surprising that it isn't supported that way. I guess I can stop blaming the XLR->Dual TRS cable connector I have. It just annoys me that when I know and XLR *can* do it (albeit with a sacrifice of usable range), and I know I have one of the most advanced interfaces available, that I can't choose that type of output.

Ah well. For now, I have the room, but it limits me in the future in a way I don't want to be limited. I suppose that means I better start saving my pennies for a UFX or something else. Heck, I probably should start digging in on doing my homework better about how I want it all to fit together and what will allow that to happen. I'm an RME fan, but it's a non-trivial path to follow. It can get convoluted in a hurry to the insufficiently initiated.

Before you spend money come here and ask.
There are true professional people here (not me).

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Good advice. Probably something I would have done next time around, but good to have the call out so I am actively thinking about it. I'll probably approach it from the perspective of getting to a point where I have a "this is what makes sense to me" level and then come visit for a reality check. I'll probably leave out the specifics of what way makes sense to be and just include high-level thinking and existing + likely future requirements as I see them and see what the pros suggest.

If your adat out is unused, you can add outputs there. (ans extra inputs on the adat in of course).
There is an enormous choice what you can add. From cheap optical spdif dac with headphone out for an extra headphones, to 8 hi end output Chanels.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

That’s how balanced outputs work. They are never stereo or switchable. Manuals are a must read before you buy. It clearly states that the headphone outputs are nit exclusive. As you can see in TotalMix there is a single stereo output for them. I have the Babyface pro nd it’s a great audio interface but it sounds like you should have gone for the ucx which has more outputs.

What I would do (and have done) is get a simple adat expansion like the Behringer ADA8200 which then gives you 8 more outputs. Cheap and cheerful. Not so good though if you do a lot of mobile work. I’m static so it’s fine.

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

You could use one cable with two XLR on one end and TS jacks on the other. Or two XLRs on one side and stereo TRS jack on other... I am not sure if it is possible to buy one, but one could solder one. or get soldered one...

But I do not see much advantage over two cables. Also, there are "stereo" XLR - TRS cables that have two cables "glued" together. So,  there is more possibilities....

But, it is not possible to route stereo signal to single XLR HW output on RME devices. I am not aware of any device that uses XLR that way, but anything is possible in the world. It would be very confusing....

Stereo over XLR can happen, but as I've learned with a bit more digging, it's arguably a bastardization of things rather than a real implementation. Skills/Knowledge wise, I'm in that limbo land where I know a lot more than the "average Joe" but am still far more on that average Joe side of the spectrum than I am the "pro" - let alone master - side of the spectrum. That can sometimes leave me in a spot where I'm digging for answers to some great questions, but still unaware of other questions I should be asking.

i had been aware of using the ADAT to gain more channels, but my search for hardware to take that path kept turning up solutions that were as expensive (or nearly so) as the BabyFace itself was. The Behringer mentioned by @mkok is probably the least expensive option I've seen that actually seems viable. I have to temper my tendency to overbuy (as one can argue I did with the BF although I have no regrets there) vs. not winding up buying something I'm going to have to replace not all that far down the road. This isn't for full pro studio use, but my needs do seem to be ever increasing as I balance my relatively Simple VO needs against music and composition as well as upcoming video/podcast needs.

I appreciate all the help and information thus far. It's given me some new things to look into to continue to increase my understanding of the various pieces. Recording Engineering and, eventually, music producing was my original career aspiration some 40 years ago, but fate didn't make that path reasonably available to me back then. I do, however, find my way inching back in that direction all these years later, so it feels like an old dream rekindled. smile

VOByRob wrote:

Stereo over XLR can happen, but as I've learned with a bit more digging, it's arguably a bastardization of things rather than a real implementation.

Exactly. While XLR could be used for stereo signal, it is not intended for such a use. Even stereo microphone has special XLR with 5 pins and does not use 3 pin XLR even thought it could be probably used....

Kubrak wrote:
VOByRob wrote:

Stereo over XLR can happen, but as I've learned with a bit more digging, it's arguably a bastardization of things rather than a real implementation.

Exactly. While XLR could be used for stereo signal, it is not intended for such a use. Even stereo microphone has special XLR with 5 pins and does not use 3 pin XLR even thought it could be probably used....

Except the Audio Technica AT2022 which has - for some reasons - an unbalanced 3-pin XLR stereo out.

UCX - FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

Yes, it has cable with 3.5 mm jack.... Probably intended for non-pro camera use.... But still, it could have had 5 pin XLR. Maybe it is few pennies cheaper to use 3-pin instead of 5-pin.

AT uses 5-pin XLR for more expensive stereo mics....

I have not understand completly, can you use two Monitors for monitoring with the Babyface and at the same time have a paar of headphones plugged in?

It seem theres a flaw in the construction? I am not Sure. Thanks.

Windows 11 ––  Fireface 802

14 (edited by mkok 2024-01-30 10:15:46)

SoundChaser wrote:

I have not understand completly, can you use two Monitors for monitoring with the Babyface and at the same time have a paar of headphones plugged in?

It seem theres a flaw in the construction? I am not Sure. Thanks.

No not really. It’s not a flaw though. It’s what you get at this price point and what the Babyface was designed to do. If you want more outputs then you go the next interface up.

You can however ad an adat interface to provide more ins and outs. Remember it is a very compact design. The two headphone outs use the same output. You cannot separate them. My Roland td50x module has both 1/4” and 3.5mm headphones out but are the on the same volume control. This is not unusual.

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.