Topic: ADI-2 Pro FS R - Simultaneous Inputs?

Please forgive the novice question. I've done my best to learn about pro audio, but many things are still over my head.

I am currently using the ADI-2 Pro connected to a PC with Genelec SAMs connected through AES. I also have an Axe-Fx connected through coax. This has worked brilliantly as I can monitor both the PC and Axe-Fx audio by making the Axe-Fx the active sound output in windows while still passing it through the ADI.

I am now trying to add a synth in the mix. Is there any way to get audio from the analog inputs to the Genelecs simultaneous to PC audio? I think I've tried every combination of settings the ADI has to offer. I feel like I'm heading down the path of just getting something with mixing capabilities like the UCX II, but I wanted to see if someone smarter than me had any ideas before doing so. Thank you for any help.

2 (edited by KaiS 2024-01-26 01:02:33)

Re: ADI-2 Pro FS R - Simultaneous Inputs?

The least expensive way adding TotalMix capability to your system is Digiface USB.
Still Digiface UCX-2 might serve you better long term.

Before going such path, I’d check if your DAW offers input monitoring and mixing - almost every DAW has this functionality.

If yes, next question is: can you bring down latency far enough for this to be usable when software synths come into play.

3 (edited by spamilton 2024-01-26 03:01:27)

KaiS wrote:

The least expensive way adding TotalMix capability to your system is Digiface USB.
Still Digiface UCX-2 might serve you better long term.

Before going such path, I’d check if your DAW offers input monitoring and mixing - almost every DAW has this functionality.

If yes, next question is: can you bring down latency far enough for this to be usable when software synths come into play.

I tried in Ableton and FL Studio, but I can't seem to get the routing to work appropriately. I normally have to use it in DAC mode and switch inputs manually. In USB mode, I only hear PC audio. I think I will just add the UCX II to my wish list. It will be a more elegant solution and should cover all future needs. Thank you for the suggestion.

4 (edited by KaiS 2024-01-26 16:09:02)

Both DAW’s offer input monitoring.

On ADI-2 Class Compliant Multi-channel- Mode is best suited for this purpose (manual page 40).
Unplug USB cable first, to switch to Multi-channel mode.

Multichannel will do in combination with both DAC- or USB-Mode.
DAC-Mode is simpler to use.
Just the DAW’s routing is different to address ADI-2’s individual outputs.

In DAC-Mode ADI-2’s 1/2 Source needs to be USB, to use the DAW’s monitor function.

Under Windows ADI-2’s ASIO driver should be used, as both DAWs support it.

Once configured, you can listen to all sources at the same time without switching:
Axe FX, ADI-2’s analog input, DAW’s software Synth and DAW’s mix of the already recorded tracks.

Here’s the step by step guide for “How do I monitor in [Ableton] Live”:
https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic … ng-in-Live

For FL Studio the same can be found here:
https://www.image-line.com/fl-studio-le … tRecording

Excerpt:
Monitor external input - Below the recording locations are some input monitoring options. These options determine if the External input is audible through FL Studio.

• Off - Do not monitor external input.

• When armed - Monitor the external Input only when the Mixer track is armed for recording.

• On - Always monitor the external Input.

5 (edited by spamilton 2024-01-26 13:49:04)

This is awesome! I was missing the critical step of assigning the inputs in the mixer. I was able to get the latency very low as well with no issues. Very nice. Thank you for taking the time for this.

KaiS wrote:

Both DAW’s offer input monitoring.

On ADI-2 Class Compliant Multi-channel- Mode is best suited for this purpose (manual page 40).
Unplug USB cable first, to switch to Multi-channel mode...