Topic: UFX II & Mac, bug in CC9 from 4.09 onwards?

Hi!

I'm using a UFX II on an Intel Mac and recently updated my Mac from Mojave to Monterey. Then I promptly upgraded to the latest version of the driverkit driver (4.10), which resulted in a weird MIDI control bug.

I've configured a MIDI controller to send CC9 messages so that I can adjust mic gain, but after the 4.10 update the only values Totalmix would set were between 0 and 12. The MIDI CC messages were still happening as before–checked that using MIDI Monitor–but for whatever reason it seems like mic inputs 9–12 didn't accept any gain values above 12.

So then I rolled back the drivers one version at a time until I ended up at 4.08, where the MIDI CC messages worked as before.

Hoping this might help others and maybe also help track down the bug!

Re: UFX II & Mac, bug in CC9 from 4.09 onwards?

HI,

its described in the drivers readme document and was introduced since v.4.09.
If you look, you will find:

- Added device dependent limits for the mic gain range

So, you should modify your controller that it sends a range between 0 and 12 if you move the knob from lowest (normally 0) to max (normally 127).

“Do It For Her”
My Gear: Bontempi Magic light Keyboard

Alright, thanks for that – I did try scanning the release notes for any MIDI-related entries, but didn't catch that one.

Are the device dependent mic gain ranges documented somewhere? I tried searching Google and the forums, but no luck.

Are the device dependent mic gain ranges documented somewhere? I tried searching Google and the forums, but no luck.

in manual of your UFX II

“Do It For Her”

The PDF file found on the website (Manual for Fireface UFX II, version 2.0, 10/2023) says on page 89:

Input Gain control is available via CC9, value range as the gain itself (up to 65). The MIDI channel determines the controlled channel, from 1 to 16 (UFX: 9 to 12). For this to work, Enable MIDI
Control in the Options menu has to be activated.

Am I missing something here?

Oh, accoording to your manual in chapter 25.3.1 Settings

Gain (9-12). Sets the gain for the four front inputs. The knob can be ad-
justed by dragging the mouse or by the mouse wheel. This also works
when the mouse has been moved over the two gain displays. Then the
gain can be changed separately for left and right channel, even when the
channel is in stereo mode.
Gain (1-8). Additionally to the reference level setting, Line inputs 1 to 8
have an adjustable gain option from 0 dB to +12 dB.

So... 1-8 should have a range from 0-12, while 9-12 should have the range from 0-64.

But i did not check 9-12 by myself. Maybe tomorrow i will have more time.

Anyhow, if you didnt already - you could check if the bug depends on driver or TM itself. Maybe you can try TotalMix FX 1.83 (which comes with driver 4.08) while having the 4.10 driver installed?

“Do It For Her”

maggie33 wrote:

Oh, accoording to your manual in chapter 25.3.1 Settings

Gain (9-12). Sets the gain for the four front inputs. The knob can be ad-
justed by dragging the mouse or by the mouse wheel. This also works
when the mouse has been moved over the two gain displays. Then the
gain can be changed separately for left and right channel, even when the
channel is in stereo mode.
Gain (1-8). Additionally to the reference level setting, Line inputs 1 to 8
have an adjustable gain option from 0 dB to +12 dB.

So... 1-8 should have a range from 0-12, while 9-12 should have the range from 0-64.

But i did not check 9-12 by myself. Maybe tomorrow i will have more time.

Anyhow, if you didnt already - you could check if the bug depends on driver or TM itself. Maybe you can try TotalMix FX 1.83 (which comes with driver 4.08) while having the 4.10 driver installed?

Hmm, I've hidden some of the analogue line-in channels in TotalMix, so this maybe changes the channel numbers and thus creates the confusion? Can't test it right now, but that would fit the picture–TotalMix thinks I'm sending a CC9 command to analogue line in to control the trim, whereas it's actually going to a mic preamp to set the gain.

Ahhh... of course. 99% sure that is the reason.

If you hide channels in Mixer/Matrix, you should also hide them in your corresponding MIDI Controller, to be 1-2-1 "in sync" with the Numbering of your Controller.

“Do It For Her”