Topic: New user experience...

I just picked up my new UFX iii two days ago and wanted to post my experiences with both it and Totalmix. Prior to this I had no experience with RME hardware of software.
I find it easy to use.. sounds amazing and hasn't given me any headaches (yet).
I'm yet to record a full band and have just been tracking guitars and mixing though it but I find the A/D & D/A conversion to be really good... I love it... Very impressed.
I was prepared for a bit of a struggle with Totalmix after watching YT vids and reading comments but I found it pretty straight forward once I dug into it (and trust me, I'm pretty slow when it comes to new tech lol).
So far so good.. I'm very happy I took the plunge and bought this unit.. Nice kit
Danny

Re: New user experience...

Nice to hear Danny, I had a similar experience as you. The concept of TotalMix is logic and by this good understandable.
If you require any further assistance, don't hesitate to ask here on the forum.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thank you...  I do have one small query.
I know the UFX iii has pre-amps but I want to also use my Neve 5211 2 channel mic pre.
Am I correct in assuming I connect it to the UFX's XLR inputs and then set that channel's
gain to autoset in Totalmix or is there a way to just turn off the UFX pre-amp for that channel?
Cheers
Danny

4 (edited by ramses 2024-01-27 21:42:02)

Connect the Neve to the rear inputs using a balanced cable (XLR to TRS).

See chapter 19.2

Autoset is available for the following use cases ...

The analogue inputs 9-12 in the front can be used
- for mics using an XLR plug and
- as instrument input (unbalanced TS plug, Hi-Z) where you can connect

"[…]With 1 MOhm input impedance (Hi-Z), TS jack and adjustable input gain from +8 dB to +50 dB, the front-side inputs can be used perfectly with keyboards, sampler, CD player, guitars and many more. They handle levels from -21 dBu up to +21 dBu, turning them into full level Line inputs. Thus, the unit can also be used as a Line gain amplifier. The TRS jacks are free of phantom power[…]"

If I am not mistaken, you could connect the Neve unbalanced and use the Inst inputs as line input and adjust the gain as needed. But the preferable way is to use a balanced connection.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Amazing..  Thank you.
Danny