1 (edited by graymic 2024-01-27 06:38:05)

Topic: Stuck deciding how to expand IO / Studio

Hey all,

I've had the UCX II for just under a year now, as my old interface (different brand, won't name) died on me. At the time due to financial constraints the best interface I could afford that yielded a few more IO over my former interface was the FireFace UCX II.

Honestly, I'm still blown away by this interface and in all honesty would like to keep this if I can just purely for the purposes of travelling with my small synths / guitar when the need arises.

Nonetheless, my studio has seen an addition recently of a secondary pair of monitor speakers (These will soon added to the GLM network), a Quad Cortex, 2 mic's (need to add 2 more shortly), and several synths that I run in parrallel (Sub37 + Minilogue XD).

In regards to the mic's I would definitely benefit from another mic pre-amp no doubt. But as I intend to add a eurorack to my setup and some outboard equipment, I'm going to start fast approaching my maximum IO (specifically with the 500 modules) - or am I potentially going about this wrong?

My query right now is about, what could I leverage within the RME family that would yield me additional mic pre's but also be pulled into the ADAT loop or would I be better of potentially looking at upgrading toward the UFX pathway. Fundamentally either a UFX II or more ideally a UFX III?

I have been also toying with adding a Cranborne 500ADAT in, as that would give me the benefit of those 8 additional IO's whilst being able to put in the mic pre's as well.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: for context, I'm on a windows machine, so unfortunately I am unable to use an audio aggregate with another device and as I understand it I would be unable to pair the UCX with something like the Digiface due to mismatching audio drivers on the windows system.

2 (edited by ramses 2024-01-27 09:29:33)

Re: Stuck deciding how to expand IO / Studio

Hi graymic, welcome to the RME forum.

A few general considerations. As far as I'm aware, only the Cranborne Audio 500 ADAT offers the possibility of being digitally connected to a recording interface via ADAT. It is €1800 pricier than other models that simply handle the housing and power supply of the modules.

Assuming that you intend to record in double speed, you would need a recording interface with 2 free ADAT ports. The question now is how many additional analogue and digital I/O ports are needed for other purposes. It would be best to create an Excel table and calculate the sums of the types and quantity of analogue and digital I/O required.

Thereafter, you can plan better and decide which recording interface would be best for you. If it needs to be USB-based, an 802 FS or UFX II might be sufficient. I wouldn't recommend starting with a Digiface USB here because it lacks the types of I/O that one wouldn't want to miss in a flexible studio: MIDI, Word Clock, and perhaps a few analogue ports where the number of ports on the device doesn't change even at higher sample rates (double speed).

Buying too narrowly doesn't make sense either; buying and selling audio equipment can be cumbersome. If the devices differ in port layout, you can't simply import the TotalMix FX routings you've worked on meanwhile into the new device and have to set everything up again from scratch.

If you want to have a broad setup, my recommendation is to consider a UFX III because it offers a wide range of connections, enough analogue ports, and useful features like DURec and Autoset. With a UFX III, you also have the final opportunity to compare RME's high-quality analogue ports and microphone inputs against a setup with Lunchbox and 500 series modules, which are expensive.

The UFX III has high-quality microphone inputs comparable to a 12Mic, and the converters of the analogue I/O ports are those of the well-known Reference Converter ADI-2 Pro FS. RME is known for transparent, high-quality conversion. Therefore, you can benchmark this excellent conversion quality against 500 series modules that likely follow a certain "vintage vibe" and colour the signal. The question is what you want or what you prefer.

As a guitarist, you will also like the Instrument (Hi-Z) inputs of the UFXIII which are fantastic. I am also a guitarist and have my guitar plugged to the UFX III instead to the amp, to record also the guitar signal. The UFX III acts also as parallel effect loop for my stereo setup with Lexicon PCM 81/91 and two Marshall combos.

The UFX III is definitely the right foundation for your setup, and based on this device, you can make further decisions whether you prefer the transparent conversion quality of RME or if you prefer the sound of the 500-modules.
It could also be that you want both.
Whatever way you go, if needed you can get easily more analogue I/O by expansing your setup via MADI to connect either preamps (12Mic) or analogue converter (M32*, M-1610 Pro, ..).

What's also possible, to use the UFX III as a mobile recording interface and to connect amp modellers to it for e.g. stage use. A powerful recording and mixing solution with DURec either as a tape deck in stand-alone mode or for backup recording when being used together with a little Windows PC or laptop.

The remainder of your setup could stay in the studio, connected to MADI-based converter, then you only need to unplug the MADI cable from your UFX III to use it for "mobile" purposes.

Having one rock solid UFX III is definitely better compared to using multiple recording interfaces. The latter makes routing trickier. Either you have to route through the DAW with higher latency (RTL) or you need to provide connections between the devices to exchange a few channels for quicker routing and for clock synch purposes.

Other advantages of UFX III, flagship interfaces can usually get new features more easily in terms of FPGA reserves. See the last RME additions of Room EQ, Crossfeed, triple SPDIF: https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=38691

If you have enough analogue I/O ports, either on the UFX III or by adding a converter via MADI, then you can use the less expensive lunch boxes without ADAT and would have an additional major advantage. No A/D conversion by the Cranborne Lunchbox where we do not know exactly about the characteristic and quality of the conversion. Then you can use here the proven RME converters.

In this blog article, you can see my setup:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ent … iii-en-de/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thank you so much for the detailed reply Ramses. This is hugely helpful. I'll be taking a trip into town tomorrow my local supplier said they would do a part-ex on my UCX II for £800 and do me a solid with the UFX III for around £1900. They also have a display Cranborne in which they were more than happy to lend to me for a few days. So this might be the perfect opportunity to check out your recommendations.

I am inclined to agree the UFX III seems like it would be my "last interface" needed for my workflow and studio as I definitely won't exceed the IO there for some time to come. I also didn't consider the idea of having the rest of the studio routed through MADI to effectively have my UFX act as a "plug and play". So this may be the thing needed, especially as I had plans to put the Cranborne in a travel case which has 2U left allowing for the interface to sit nicely in there.

You're welcome. Please report back what your test results are. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to ask here.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13