1 (edited by sino21 2024-01-23 18:43:38)

Topic: UCX II or ADI-2 - in the light of the new features

So I am torn apart now when the Crosfeed or RoomEQ features are confirmed for UCX II. Let me tell you that I perfectly understand the feature set between ADI-2 DAC and ADI-2 Pro Big Brother (black one). I am also aware all of these interfaces have great ASIO drivers (usual RME) which I love (I had RME in the past)

I am more into music production however these days I am all in the box so I am not going to record anything at the moment or possibly never. Still though occasionally and rarely I might record some of my old synths. But inputs are not something I need (I think it is important to say this in the context of my question). So one or two inputs are fine. More won't harm anymore, right? 

But anyway I want to emphasize that my question is heavily related to monitoring and producing over Headphones. With that being said I will plug Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro (250 ohm) and possibly Audeze LCD-X

So now that UCX II will also have capable Headphone EQ (RoomEQ will be used for that purpose of course) and a crossfeed - which are some of the main features that I wanted to utilize in the ADI-2 series the only missing bit for me is - How much exactly there's a difference in the headphone amp and sound quality at the output between UCX II and ADI-2 DAC for example - if any?

I tried to educate myself on other forums but I ended up reading things like people using different power supplies with ADI-2 or UCX II and tossing away RMEs and noticing different sounds.  Without sounding disrespectful I decided to not believe such people because it seemed to me that they were really confused.

And no, I don't think I could ever hear the difference between ESS or AKM so this does not bother me. I can hear the difference between different filters in ADI-2 but this is not a complete story anyway.

Having said that it finally occurred to me (silly I know) why don't I ask here?
So is there anyone with ADI-2 and UCX II who can compare headphone output, but without the usual nonsense of "warming up" power supplies? 

Also, the (seemingly anecdotal) information I found on various other forums such as BabyFace Pro having better headphone AMP than the UCX II does not help either.

So please help - I am not an audiophile, I do value good sound but in the back of my mind it seems to me I won't be able to tell the difference if I plug headphone into UCX II and then ADI-2 ??. Am I wrong in that or should I simply purchase ADI-2 and be done with it?

Remember I am not the person who wants to believe I have perfect sound just because the chip is higher spec. I truly want good sound in my Headphones but if the UCX II can deliver the same fidelity (on the headphone out) as ADI-2 then I will get the UCX II - but can it?

Re: UCX II or ADI-2 - in the light of the new features

sino21 wrote:

I truly want good sound in my Headphones but if the UCX II can deliver the same fidelity (on the headphone out) as ADI-2 then I will get the UCX II - but can it?

I’d like to have an answer to this too. I have the prior model UCX and am considering the ADI-2 DAC FS purely for use as a headphone amp and wondering whether adding the ADI-2 will be a significant improvement in this respect or whether I should get a dedicated headphone amp. (I use the UCX extensively as both a standalone mixer and as an audio interface).

Re: UCX II or ADI-2 - in the light of the new features

waterden3 wrote:
sino21 wrote:

I truly want good sound in my Headphones but if the UCX II can deliver the same fidelity (on the headphone out) as ADI-2 then I will get the UCX II - but can it?

I’d like to have an answer to this too. I have the prior model UCX and am considering the ADI-2 DAC FS purely for use as a headphone amp and wondering whether adding the ADI-2 will be a significant improvement in this respect or whether I should get a dedicated headphone amp. (I use the UCX extensively as both a standalone mixer and as an audio interface).

Yeah hopefully someone will respond.

From my understanding, you can not go wrong by purchasing ADI-2 DAC FS for the headphone duties. Specs seem perfect and unless you are a brother of Batman there is no chance you will hear the difference between ADI-2 DAC FS which uses an ESS converter and ADI-2 Pro FS R BE which uses using AKM converter. 

But similarly to your situation - it's hard to make a choice unless someone with experience of using both responds here.

The more I read the more I think I'll end up using ADI-2 DAC FS because I don't need TotalMIX. Yes, I am producing music but I only need a decent ASIO driver (RME is fantastic in that regard) and high-spec headphone AMP both of which are available on the ADI-2 -

DigicheckNG analyzer suite is now and also on the ADI-2 so it's a cherry on TOP for my production duties.

You even have an advantage over my situation and in case you need TotalMix - you can easily keep UCX for the TotalMIX routing duties and connect ADI-2 to it and use the best of both worlds without any quality loss assuming your budget can provide two interfaces: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdBV9EO_bmk