Topic: Fireface UCX or ADI-2 DAC FS headphone amp comparison

Apologies if this has already been covered in passing but despite quite heavy digging I haven't found the answer I seek.

Background: I have been using a Fireface UCX as an audio interface for both computer recording and mixing. For the latter I use Mackie 828 monitors. I also use it as a pure stand-alone mixer with a Helix guitar FX unit and those monitors. In all respects it has been absolutely impeccable.

I have not used headphones for any of the above implementations. However, I now wish to use headphones for audio hifi purposes. My phones are HiFiman Arya Organic, the source is either or both of Linn DSM Selekt / Primare i35 with good CD / turntable sources and, of course, the extensive streaming abilities of the Linn DSM which, btw, is loaded with their well-regarded Katalyst DAC.

None of these sources have headphone outputs so I am looking for a good headphone amplifier.

My options seem to be:

1. Use my Fireface UCX as the headphone amp. This works fine but given the quality of my sources and headphones might be a weak link.
2. Purchase an ADI-2 DAC FS for use principally as a headphone amp.  This option assumes a significant improvement over the UCX and I don’t know whether or not this is the case. So, this is my main question here. (I doubt the DAC element, excellent though it is reputed to be, would improve on the Linn Katalyst, but it would I imagine be perfectly good enough and, in any case, adds flexibility).
3. Buy a pure headphone amp without a DAC. My choice here would probably be the Violectric V202.

So my question for all you esteemed experts is which of these options would you recommend. I recognise this is going to be somewhat subjective, of course.

I should add that my listening preferences tilt strongly towards classical/ chamber music, jazz and female vocals. I am not into heavy head-banging bass slam or ear-piercing trebles. Sound-stage, instrument separation and airiness are qualities I seek and I would prefer a touch of warmth to a dry analytical sound.

Hopefully, one or more of these options will do the trick.

Thank you all in advance.

Re: Fireface UCX or ADI-2 DAC FS headphone amp comparison

I would just try the UCX if you already have it and see if you're happy with it.