Topic: Is RME Babyface Pro FS Headphone Out seperate from Main Out

Dear RME community, hope all is well..

I am trying to figure out how many outputs RME Babyface Pro FS has since I would like to use it in. live setting.
Can there be seperate mix sent to phones output which is different than main output.
I am considering to use it in a live setting using backing tracks. I will use the outputs in Moto to increase output count..

Main Out L - Drums
Main Out R - Bass
Phones Out L - Guitar
Phones Out R - Synth / Other
A/S L (Toslink/Spdif) - Click Track
A/S L (Toslink/Spdif) - Cue Track

As Toslink 2 Channel out I am considering to use cheap converter (https://www.thomann.de/intl/swissonic_d … _conve.htm)

Is this setup possible in this scenario. I would appreciate your feedback..

When I have the budget I am considering to. get Fireface UCX II for more output but until than is this setup the right approach?
Thank you.

Re: Is RME Babyface Pro FS Headphone Out seperate from Main Out

Yes main out is out 1/2 and phones out is out 3/4. Both phones out carry the same signal but have separate headphone amp so can be connected both.
If you buy a little more expensive behringer ada8200 or second hand one or ada8000 (which is a little less then the ada8200) you have 12 outs instead of 6 and can use stereo for drums synths etc.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

vinark wrote:

Yes main out is out 1/2 and phones out is out 3/4. Both phones out carry the same signal but have separate headphone amp so can be connected both.
If you buy a little more expensive behringer ada8200 or second hand one or ada8000 (which is a little less then the ada8200) you have 12 outs instead of 6 and can use stereo for drums synths etc.

Thank you Vinark, really appreciate your response. Awesome to know and yes ADA8200 definitely would work in a larger setup but I would like to be as mobile as possible so knowing this works makes me happy. Thank you.

4 (edited by Ser 2024-01-30 12:34:02)

vinark wrote:

One more question if you know the answer. If one were to use only RME Babyface PRO FS for backing tracks with or without TOSLING (extra 2 outputs), how would you setup the output for live performance since you mentioned Drums as stereo. Channels being DRUMS, BASS, KEYS/SYNTH, GUITAR, VOCAL, CLICK/CUE. Thank you. If you could use the channels in STEREO or MONO as you choose.

SETUP 1
--------------
Main Out L -
Main Out R -
Phones Out L -
Phones Out R -

SETUP 2
-------------
Main Out L -
Main Out R -
Phones Out L -
Phones Out R -
A/S L (Toslink/Spdif) -
A/S L (Toslink/Spdif) -

I would maybe do a full stereo mix of all tracks including fx on the outs 1-2 and the click and cue on phones 3-4 (stup 1)
You could also do stereo drums and bass on 1-2 and stereo the rest on 3-4 and click cue on spdif (setup 2).
But of course I have no idea what you are performing so 4 mono might be better in your case and if someone is mixing from front of house mixer they have better control of levels. But a full stereo mix gives you more control. But for now I don't even have an idea wher the tracks are coming from. From a DAW on a laptop?

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

6 (edited by Ser 2024-01-30 13:54:01)

vinark wrote:

I would maybe do a full stereo mix of all tracks including fx on the outs 1-2 and the click and cue on phones 3-4 (stup 1)
You could also do stereo drums and bass on 1-2 and stereo the rest on 3-4 and click cue on spdif (setup 2).
But of course I have no idea what you are performing so 4 mono might be better in your case and if someone is mixing from front of house mixer they have better control of levels. But a full stereo mix gives you more control. But for now I don't even have an idea wher the tracks are coming from. From a DAW on a laptop?

Thank you for the feedback. Yes it makes sense to do the setup the way you described in case of Stereo.. I will keep it in mind and try it out.. I am planning to use laptop and Ableton live as a DAW and also considering using Stage Tract or similar app and use iPad for backing tracks.. but since my performance will be loop based, more improvisational I am focusing more on Ableton live setup for flexibility and recording of the performance.