1 (edited by blizt 2024-01-30 18:57:30)

Topic: Upgrading from Babyface OG to Fireface 802 FS

Hello, I'm thinking about upgrading my old but trusty Babyface (the first one that came) for a new interface with more inputs. I'm looking at the Fireface 802 FS right now, I would like to know if I can expect a noticeable improvement in the converters from analog to digital and digital to analog. Im most likely recording electronic drum machines and synths. Thanks.

Re: Upgrading from Babyface OG to Fireface 802 FS

yes and no.

Yes it is a big improvement from the old Babyface to the newest technology interface with lot more inputs and outputs, if you need them.

And no, the improvement is not noticeable - for me. My ears are not able to hear a difference because the old Babyface already is a superbe audio interface.
The converters deliver what you need, top sound, exact signal with software that works.
If you like to have more inputs and outputs the 802FS is a great choice of course and the Babyface can stay for mobile use or backup unit.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Re: Upgrading from Babyface OG to Fireface 802 FS

Everyone has different ears, so such statements should be treated with caution. It's best to try it out for yourself.
Another thing I would consider is whether you shouldn't make the leap from the 802 FS to the UFX II.
For me, Autoset, DURec and saving preamp settings in TM FX have become important features for operation.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13