Topic: Expanding the Fireface UCX II

I've never worked with ADAT before, and I bought an Audient Evo SP8 to expand the mic inputs on my Fireface UCX II so I can record drums, using the UCX II as master clock.

I'm not getting the signal through the Evo 8 to my computer (Mac Mini M2 Pro MacOS 13). I see the meter on the Evo 8 move when I tap a mic, but none of the ADAT meters in TotalMix are indicating any input.

The Input Status in the Fireface USB Settings shows "No Lock" for ADAT, which my understanding means that the SP8 is not detected. I'm using the TOSLINK cable supplied with the UCX II and I see the red light coming through it. I've tried both optical outs on the SP8, and have ensured that I have the cable plugged from the Evo 8 optical out to the UCX II optical in.

1. Does this sound like I should try a different cable? Or am I not getting any signal at all because I don't have the clock set correctly?
2. For my setup as described in the first sentence, should I get an additional TOSLINK cable for the clock or use the BNC
connectors (does it make any difference)?
3. Are TOSLINK cables supposed to be somewhat loose in their jack or should there be a more satisfying connection felt when plugging them in? I've pressed the cable into both devices with a gentle firmness to ensure the cable is seated lol

Re: Expanding the Fireface UCX II

The devices need to be clock synchronized.
If you have only one TOSLINK cable, then configure the preamp as clock master and the UCX II as clock slave.
For the UCX II you can do this in the driver settings window.

UCX II---ADAT IN<--------------------------------ADAT OUT1---SP8 Preamp
clock slave                                                                         clock master
(clock source = ADAT or optical)                                         (clock source = internal)

If you got a 2nd TOSLINK cable, then configure UCX II to become clock master and SP8 clock slave.
Then you can control the sample rate by the DAW/application and the SP8 will follow the UCX II's sample rate.

UCX II---ADAT OUT---------------------------------->ADAT IN1---SP8 Preamp
        +---ADAT IN<----------------------------------ADAT OUT1---+

To check the TOSLINK cable and ADAT IN/OUT you can plug a loop
UCX II: ADAT OUT ----to----- ADAT IN
and then watch for lock -> synch in RME driver settings

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I've never worked with ADAT before

I just realized that there are bit of plastic protecting the ADAT cable ends. I thought the connections seemed too flimsy. Everything works now. I hope someday someone will come across this post so my idiocy won't be for naught lol. Thanks for your quick reply just the same @ramses!

Then much fun with the expansion and don't forget the 2nd TOSLINK cable.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13