Topic: UFX iii glitching kernel issue

Hello!!

So I’m on MacBook Pro 16” intel Catalina

So after working for some time cpu load increases and then sound starts glitching, sometimes crashing and that’s where I found out abt kernel, in report file

The heavier is the project the faster cpu loads, tried to turn off RME while in daw and during glitches: predictably stopped glitching and sound went through laptop speakers clean and clear

If I reboot daw then it works for sometime until step by step cpu starts overloading and then glitching. No hardware problems found… after turning off all plugins while glitching nothing changes…

Last RME drivers and Catalina macOS.. Maybe I need to install something additional for this kernel?

RME!! Please, help!.. this is a nightmare happening..

Regards., Nik

2 (edited by waedi 2024-02-01 04:23:31)

Re: UFX iii glitching kernel issue

You may tell what driver you use ? Should be the 3223 ( Catalina is 10.15 ) Did you try different buffer sizes in the DAW ?

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Sounds like CPU throttling due to CPU temperature...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

4 (edited by NVG 2024-02-02 00:43:07)

Hello, thank you for your attention,

From a little investigation I’ve found out it’s kernel_task thing that is overloading my Mac while I’m working in studio one…

Maybe you have any idea if I downgrade to an older driver and use babyface pro instead of UFX iii if the RME kernel extension will be deleted on its own or I have to do it manually? I’m seriously thinking it’s related and there is correlation, I’ve never had problems of this kind before installing UFX iii drivers with kernel extension.. 

I’m on MacBook Pro 16” 2019 with latest Catalina update and studio one 6

I'm not sure if this is the problem, but my old macbook pro had big problems with the Kernal task throttling the CPU.

I know on some older models of macbook there was a problem with the ambient heat sensor basically failing or not working properly, so it would report to the OS that the CPU was overworked and would throttle it, causing a slow system.

You can read about it here
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/50 … ortBy=best

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questio … -cpu-usage

Again, I'm not sure if this is your issue, but if it is this issue, then I think only a visit to the mac store to have them repair the computer will help as its a hardware issue.