1 (edited by MrBluez2U 2024-02-06 07:48:32)

Topic: Bootup message new firmware is available but current version works

I am running Monterey on an IMac M1. I was running both a Firewire 800 and a UFX+.

The Firewire 800 is no longer functional, probably due to a power adapter failure. I am mentioning it because getting the computer to stop giving me boot up messages about RME firmware mismatch required that I update the firmware with another computer.

Fortunately (or unfortunately) I had an Apple 2013 Powerbook that I wasn't using very much. To successfully upgrade the firmware, I had to upgrade the operating system on the Powerbook from Big Sur to Monterey. Long story short, the Fireface 800 firmware got updated and the bootup message re: the firmware mismatch disappeared.

However, the Powerbook was now on an OS version that wasn't optimal for the hardware on the Powerbook. I can't roll the operating system back to the operating system that was installed on the machine originally. I believe that Apple updates firmware for new OS versions. If the new OS isn't functional for the machine, the owner is stuck with an inoperable machine. Therefore I am hesitant to install any new firmware let alone a new operating system anymore.

I have heard from tier 2 support at Apple that the development team (next level of support up the food chain) doesn't accept cases unless the OS is updated because the new operating systems supposedly "cure" most issues. Apple used to have an excellent support system but it is not as good as it once was.

I am posting this information because more information can help the mutual effort for us all. Also, I am at my wit's end re: the need to flash the firmware in my UFX+. If it ain't broke, don't fix it is my motto. Right now the UFX+ functions without the firmware update.

From what I observed watching the videos re: driver and firmware updates due to the phasing out of kernel extensions, the question arises as to whether eventually we will need to upgrade the firmware because Apple will have made the upgrade a necessity.

Thoughts?