Topic: ADI-2 FS L/R channel playback issues w/ Toslink and USB both connected

After a cursory search I wasn't able to find an answer to this minor issue, but please let me know if this has already been hashed out elsewhere. Typically, I have a babyface sending optical to the ADI-2 FS at 96khz, but I often want to switch exclusively to the ADI-2 FS via USB, so for convenience I like to leave both cables connected to the ADI-2 and switch the I/O manually and directly from the ADI-2's internal settings.

This all works as you would expect, but as I am just now finding out, this is true only with certain sample rates—in my case, 88.2khz and 96khz. As soon as I switch to 44.1khz on the babyface (while sending optical to the ADI-2) suddenly only the left channel is active on the ADI-2—in other words, no signal for the right channel whatsoever. As soon as I disconnect the USB cable (keep in mind, the ADI-2 is not even in "USB", or for that matter "auto" source modes—it's set to "optical") I get my right channel back when using 44.1khz. Again, this is not an issue when attempting this cable configuration at 88khz or 96khz, so I was rather surprised to encounter this.

So, is this expected behavior? Any solutions? I have updated the drivers and firmware for both of my devices as of today and that has not addressed this particular issue.

Re: ADI-2 FS L/R channel playback issues w/ Toslink and USB both connected

On the Babyface set the optical output to SPDIF. Seems to be set to ADAT right now.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks Matthias, you are correct—that solves it, though of course I'm still not altogether sure why. I'm sure there must be good reason for it!

ADAT S/MUX operation...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME