Topic: Need help routing/ connecting DAC to Fireface UFX II

I currently have a Fireface UFX II and ADI-2 Pro FS connected via ADAT 2 on the Fireface UFX II.  I just purchased a dedicated DAC (the Crane Song Solaris) and I intend to connect it via ADAT 1 on the Fireface UFX II. My questions is: I want to send a 2-channel stereo AES mix from Total Mix to the Crane Song Solaris via ADAT 1 on the Fireface and to be able to monitor that analog output chain with my trusty ADI-2 Pro FS (which is what i use to currently monitor).

Can someone help me understand how the Crane Song DAC will show up in total mix using ADAT 1 from the Fireface UFX II?

I already have a dedicated Burl Bomber ADC connected to the Fireface UFX II via AES.

Thanks!

2 (edited by waedi 2024-02-05 02:28:23)

Re: Need help routing/ connecting DAC to Fireface UFX II

in Totalmix the Adat 1/2 channels are there all the time and you can send signal to adat outputs.
Regardless what is connected, the channels in Totalmix keep the same, the cranesong unit will not show up.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

So, I'm striking out here.. I can't seem to get this to work. Basically, I just want to feed my analog chain and also be able to monitor the signal from either my Fireface UFX ll or ADI-2 Pro FS using either ADAT or AES connections. I must be routing something incorrectly because I can't seem to think of a way to do this without creating a horrible feedback loop.

My setup is:   

Fireface UFX ll > ADI-2 PRO FS (connected via Optical cable) headphones and main speakers plugged into ADI-2 PRO FS which serves as the main monitor controller for the studio (device mode set to AD/DA)> Crane Song Solaris via (connected via Optical cable out) >Hardware Analog Chain> Burl Bomber ADC (connected via AES)> Fireface UFX ll.

I can get signal from the ADI-2 PRO FS to the Crane Song Solaris this way but the issue remains that when I try to monitor the signal from my DAW/ in total mix, It shows up under the SAME AES hardware input in total mix and creates a feedback loop.

How can I use the Crane Song Solaris as a separate output/ DAC connected to either the Fireface UFX ll ADI-2 PRO FS to feed my analog chain and also monitor on the ADI-2 PRO FS? I can't seem to find a way to do this is total mix? Surely there must be a way to do this? Please help

4 (edited by waedi 2024-02-07 00:06:47)

In Totalmix click onto the hardware output Adat 1/2 (where it goes to the ADI-2)
Pull down the fader of the hardware input AES (also in Totalmix). Let's hope feedback is gone.

For the setup I would connect both DACs directly to the UFX, not in a chain.
Distribute all sound from Totalmix.
If you are switching the sample rate sometimes from 48kHz to 96kHz you may enable SPDIF format for optical toslink ports in the UFX Fireface settings dialog.

It was already pulled down but that doesn't really answer my question. I can't monitor the signal coming in via AES as I also monitor output 1/2 via AES.

6 (edited by waedi 2024-02-07 00:11:58)

rancedidit wrote:

I can't monitor the signal coming in via AES as I also monitor output 1/2 via AES.

This is too mystery for me, Output 1/2 ? From UFX? Analog output 1/2 ?
The AES input channel can send the signal to every output channel by routing in Totalmix regardless what you are monitoring elsewhere.
you may ad a screenshot of Totalmix ?

So I can route the AES input channel to other hardware ouputs via Totalmix. The issue then becomes monitoring the AES input signal which is where my analog chain is coming from. If I turn the volume of AN 1/2 in total mix, it does not send signal to the AES output feeding the chain. I can see the processed AES signal coming back in under the Hardware Input AES but I'm unable to monitor the signal.

Do the UFX AES and optical SPDIF ports mirror each other? So for example, if using AES for your analog loop, then the optical SPDIF can be used to monitor the signal going to your analog chain (AES out) but not the processed signal being recorded (AES in).

Is there some sort of routing that I'm missing? Do i need to buy a second RME device to expand the AES/ ADAT I/O. I've wasted almost a whole day trying to figure this out sad

8 (edited by waedi 2024-02-07 01:38:42)

please be more exact.
...If I turn the volume of AN1/2... up or down ?  AN1/2 hardware output channel ?
Output channels don't send to other output channels.
You have to route input channels or software playback channels to the AES output.

SPDIF output and AES output are individual, you can mirror them in Totalmix by rightclick onto those output channels one after one.
Copy - paste.

Right. So, I think the issue that I'm having is how to properly connect my ADC and DAC to the Fireface UFX ll. I don't think it's so much of a routing issue in total mix.. I've included screenshots below of my settings.

I have my audio from my computer passing thru the AES Output. Fireface UFX ll > Monitoring from the ADI-2 PRO FS where my speakers are connected.

The issue that I'm having is connecting my Burl Bomber B2 ADC and Crane Song Solaris DAC to the Fireface UFX ll. I want to use ADAT protocol but so far I haven't been able to send or receive audio via ADAT protocol in total mix or through the Fireface USB settings. I'm only able to send audio/ receive audio via the Output 2 Out setting: AES/SPIDIF when connected to the ADI-2 PRO FS connected via AES.

The problem with this method is that I'm unable to monitor/ record the AES Hardware Input. I see the signal coming in under the AES Input but it's essentially a duplicated signal of the AES output feeding my speakers.. So, I want to simply send a digital signal from my Fireface UFX ll > Crane Song Solaris DAC via Toslink > Analog Hardware > Burl Bomber B2 > Fireface UFX ll and be able to monitor the digital signal sent to the Crane Song Solaris DAC in total mix as a seperate hardware input. Is this possible? Thanks for your help. I'm feeling discouraged after searching the forums all day and reading the RME manuals. I still don't have the answers.

https://imgur.com/a/xCvwTNh
https://imgur.com/6cOZi5z

10 (edited by waedi 2024-02-07 02:35:25)

You send the computer channels 1/2 to the AES output, that's fine so far.

Speaking of monitoring means to me listening a signal over a loudspeaker or a headphone.
You want monitor an output signal as a separate input signal ? That's wordsalad.

To be honest, I would connect the analog outboard chain to the analog outputs and inputs at the UFX directly, and also the monitor speakers.
When this all works, then you can implement these DACs and ADCs one after one.
In the ADI-2 you may select input Adat instead of AES.

See the screenshot here: https://imgur.com/undefined

I need to be able to monitor the AES input signal that's coming in to total mix. However, it appears that spdif mirrors what is coming though the AES connection, and cant output its own, so it's like you can't have a separate signal through AES and spdif (which is what I need).

if I were to get a RME Digiface USB Portable Digital Audio Interface and connect that to my fireface ufx ll via spidif, would this solve my problem? Let me know if this still does not make sense. Thanks

Sorry: here is the link to my total mix picture https://imgur.com/a/YXgkwuY

13 (edited by waedi 2024-02-07 04:22:14)

rancedidit wrote:

if I were to get a RME Digiface USB Portable Digital Audio Interface and connect that to my fireface ufx ll via spidif, would this solve my problem?

This would make no sense at all !
You have two pairs of Adat ports and a AES , this lets you connect three DACs and three ADCs, plenty of connections.

You didn't mirror AES and SPDIF (Adat 1/2) so far...

Okay, well I'm still at a loss here for what to do. I've tried both AES and ADAT from the BurlBomber to the Fireface UFX ll and I can't find a way to be able to monitor the AES Input sent from the Burlbomber to the Fireface UFX ll while also listening from AN 1/2 via ADAT 1/2. Right now, I have the ADI-2 Pro FS connected to ADAT 1/2. This is where my speakers are connected and how I listen to everything coming in or out of total mix.

I do not wish to use any hardware outputs. I'm trying to keep the signal path digital on the way out and on the way in. This is why I mentioned the Digiface to get extra I/O for digital signals in Totalmix. Specifically separate ADAT/ AES I/Os as I can't seem to find a way to monitor the AES input signal while also using ADAT 1/2 for monitoring from the ADI-2 pro fs.

All digital outputs of the UFX are hardware outputs.
In Totalmix the bottom row of channels are named "Hardware output channels".
The Digiface USB has to be connected to a computer with an USB cable to use it.

You can listen music via the ADI-2 connected over Adat ? Very good.
Then we can move on to the next unit the Burl, this is connected with AES to the AES input of the UFX ?
You can see signal in Totalmix in the hardware input channel AES ?

16 (edited by rancedidit 2024-02-07 05:26:30)

I see. Yes, I can listen to music with the ADI-2 via adat. The Burl is connected via adat to the fireface ufx ll and showing up in total mix under the AES Input in the hardware Input Section. I tried connecting the burl with AES and it shows up the same under the AES Input in the hardware Input Section. This is the part of the puzzle where I don't know what to do. I see the AES input signal but I'm unable to hear it listening from the ADI-2 via adat connection. Is there a way to route this in total mix? I can also send pictures or share a video if needed. Thanks for your help.

17 (edited by waedi 2024-02-07 07:27:37)

OK there is something complete wrong.
The AES input shows signals from the AES XLR input of the UFX unit only. It can't show signals from Adat input.
At least this explains why you can't monitor this signal, try to use the fader of the Adat input 1/2 instead of the AES fader. The signal is probably there even it shows up in the wrong channel.

May you try a Total Reset in Totalmix, menu Options / Reset Mix / Total Reset
If that issue still persist, contacting support.

Reflashing the firmware is also something I would try.

And what Totalmix version number is this ?
Older version has the same issue ?

This UFX II might not be on latest drivers and firmware, where the new triple AES/SPDIF feature might solve the issue (which is a bit unclear).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME