1 (edited by korppi 2024-02-03 17:15:38)

Topic: Rme ufx drivers/totalmix in virtual machine

Question about virtual machines and rme drivers

I want use windows 10/11 as a virtual machine and have drivers/totalmix in it, two options:

1) vmware workstation, windows 10 as a host and windows 10 as quest

2) linux kvm

Question is will i be able install totalmix& full rme drivers on the quest windows 10 machine?

Will i experience hiccups/latency like problems?

I quess on linux kvm, there is no usb passthrough options since theres no drivers

What is the best way for having rme drivers installed in windows virtual machine, is it even possible?

2 (edited by ramses 2024-02-08 11:11:40)

Re: Rme ufx drivers/totalmix in virtual machine

AFAIK VMWare Workstation / Player, Virtualbox, Microsoft's Hyper-V, Linux KVM support USB pass-through.

But I wouldn't be too sure that recording and processing audio works as well as running on "bare metal". Even there it can already be challenging and depends on many factors (HW, driver, DPC latencies) whether it works stable and with low latencies.

Finally:
1. this is neither officially supported
2. nor something that could be called a "best practise approach for recording and processing audio".

Transfer of audio data has other requirements compared to the bulk transfer of data,
why I wouldn't add a virtualization layer on top.

Try it out, but in any case of trouble, you are fully on your own.

Regarding troubleshooting: with an additional virtualization layer you add complexity and make it even more difficult to find the root cause.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13