Topic: VLC Crashing for me using Fireface UCX II with MacOS. Anyone else?

Hi everyone

I'd like to preface by saying, I just got the Fireface UCX II. First RME interface so i'm just getting used to it all. I've Installed latest Kernal Extension drivers on OS Ventura (no issues with that), flashed the latest firmware to the interface.

I've noticed an oddity though. If I open VLC Player and play any video with the UCX selected as an audio device, it crashes/quits immediately when I load a video into it. If I change the audio device to something else, the video loads and VLC works fine with audio.

Initially I thought that for some reason the high sample rate (96khz) was causing this, so I lowered to 48k and still had the same issue. I then removed and reinstalled the latest VLC release; same issue.
?
Has anyone else experienced this issue? Any fixes? Or any tips for troubleshooting?

Cheers

Re: VLC Crashing for me using Fireface UCX II with MacOS. Anyone else?

Just a guess: VLC might have an issue seeing an audio interface with 20 channels.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Here VLC crashes when playing a movie with Dolby Digital sound.
UFX+ , more than 30 channels

UFX+, FireFace 802 FS, Digiface USB
12 Mic, M1610 pro, Micstasy
MacBookPro M1
Logic Pro X

Thanks for the replies.

I say with a tear in my eye... I guess it's time to move away from VLC finally.

Nevertheless, I will forward this issue onto the VideoLan team. Maybe one day they can fix it.

Cheers,
B

same here, ufx 2 / sonoma, except it dépends on the codec, mkv would crash VLC, but not all files. mp4, avi or mov seems fine... workaround : free version of Elmedia Player

I have the same problem. As I use DIRAC for room correction, there is a workaround for me. I just select the virtual audio interface of DIRAC live processor as the destination of audio for VLC player and route the output to my interface (RME Madiface XT). You could use any other audio routing tool. The only way without a workaround would be VLC player to fix it.

So far I can't reproduce the issue. Mac mini M1 (Sonoma 14.3.1), VLC 3.0.20 (native Apple processors), Babyface pro with USB driver 4.09 and fw v206.
Could be related to audio format (2-channel / multichannel ...) or channel count of the interface.

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

oli77sch wrote:

So far I can't reproduce the issue. Mac mini M1 (Sonoma 14.3.1), VLC 3.0.20 (native Apple processors), Babyface pro with USB driver 4.09 and fw v206.
Could be related to audio format (2-channel / multichannel ...) or channel count of the interface.

Thanks for the reply. It's a mystery, but I'm pretty sure it's the channel count, because I only started having issues when using the UCXII. Never had this issue before on my previous interface with only a couple of I/O, multichannel formats played fine before.

9 (edited by all 2024-02-22 23:51:10)

what is veeeeery strange is that, ok, with this elmedia player (pro version) on my sonoma Mstudio, i can play some mkv movies on my UFX 2 (whereas vlc would crash immediately), BUT I CANNNOT route the 5.1 sound of it ; only the stereo part (and yes i did configure the aggregate / speaker in the audio config).

Note that with the same ufx, on an older cheese grater mac, with the same Vetinari vlc, i could play some movies, routing perfectly the 5.1 of it...

10 (edited by all 2024-02-28 03:16:36)

OK, i found a solution on vlc forum = VLC 318. no more crash, 5.1 routing OK

https://download.videolan.org/pub/video … 18/macosx/