1 (edited by pightlebit 2024-02-04 15:03:43)

Topic: Apple M3 Max compatibilty

Hi I'm considering buying a new laptop to replace my iMac (Apple have stopped supporting it as a Late 2015). I want to check I can run my existing RME hardware. I'm considering a M3 Max.

For studio I have a UFX+?I run it on Thunderbolt at present direct from the iMac.

I want to use my ancient UCX live (its probably 10 years or more old). This has a FW400 connection (and old USB)- could I get the M3 Max to run this?

Sorry to have to ask a basic question I'm not savvy with gear - just want it to work!

Many thanks.

UFX+
iMac17,Quad-Core Intel Core i7 4 GHz 32GB RAM
Logic Pro X

Re: Apple M3 Max compatibilty

RME has published Apple Silicon supported drivers for their interfaces so UFX should work 100% though it MIGHT require a driver update to be published since M3 is a newer version of the chipset.  As for firewire, apple is actively dropping firewire functionality from MacOS.  People say Sonoma 14 still has firewire but could be deleted with a version update. 

Updating from a 2015 iMac, if you're interested in saving money, get an M1 or M2 Max .  They're comparable to M3 and will miles faster than what you have now

acarakawa wrote:

RME has published Apple Silicon supported drivers for their interfaces so UFX should work 100% though it MIGHT require a driver update to be published getting over it since M3 is a newer version of the chipset.  As for firewire, apple is actively dropping firewire functionality from MacOS.  People say Sonoma 14 still has firewire but could be deleted with a version update. 

Updating from a 2015 iMac, if you're interested in saving money, get an M1 or M2 Max .  They're comparable to M3 and will miles faster than what you have now

Thx. I got it.

Thanks acarawara that’s very helpful. Apple have some reconditioned M2s and I’m very tempted.

Looks like the dear old UCX may be redundant!?

Gridscape wrote:

By far no, UCX is still supported by the latest USB drivers and I assume it will be for a good while to come!

hselters wrote:
Gridscape wrote:

By far no, UCX is still supported by the latest USB drivers and I assume it will be for a good while to come!

I'd really like to carry on using it but how about connections? Even an Apple M2 only has Thunderbolt 4 sockets how do I connect it?

UFX+
Logic Pro X

pightlebit wrote:

I'd really like to carry on using it but how about connections? Even an Apple M2 only has Thunderbolt 4 sockets how do I connect it?

The M2 has USB-C ports which support many protocols. Thunderbolt, USB, Power, etc
Get the Apple USB-A to USB-C adapter https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MJ1M … sb-adapter

Thank you

UFX+
Logic Pro X

pightlebit wrote:

I want to use my ancient UCX live (its probably 10 years or more old). This has a FW400 connection (and old USB)- could I get the M3 Max to run this?

FF UCX owner here. I use it on M2 Max via USB, precisely because I don't trust Apple to care about Firewire. The DriverKit USB driver (the one we should be using) doesn't get enough process priority to be 100% rock-solid, so in some circumstances audio drops out. Kexts still work on Sonoma though, and the kernel extension driver is good enough for what I've thrown at it so far, but requires relaxing system security settings. Hope this helps.

Fireface UCX, Mac Studio M2 max, macOS Sonoma