Topic: MADI FX Firmware

I am currently using HDSPE MADI FX with Mac Studio OS13.1 and Sonnet BreakBox. ADDA is Lynx Aurora.
The current kernel driver is 3.1 and firmware is v89.
Is it possible to update the driver to the latest 1.33(2) without updating the firmware any further?

I previously installed the new Firmware v91, but for some reason the output audio from LynxAURORA seemed to be inverted in phase, perhaps because of the statement "Word clock input inverted to maintain correct phase relation with the MADI output." It ended up making a strange sound, so I didn't turn it up any higher.

Does the firmware update for the current Driverkit driver include the above "Word clock input inverted to maintain correct phase relation with the MADI output."?

I'm hesitant to upgrade the firmware even if I upgrade the driver, in case I won't be able to restore the firmware.

Re: MADI FX Firmware

Question: was the word clock input of the HDSPe MADI FX ever connected and used? If not then any change must have had a different reason. If so just don't use it, it's most probably not needed anyway.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you for answering.
Yes, the master clock LucidGEN6 is connected to the MADI FX word clock input.
If there is no impact, I will not update the firmware any further.
Next time I have a chance, I'll try copying the OS to another drive and updating just the drivers to see if there are any problems.

The other day, when I tried to boot the OS from an external drive,
the security level could not be lowered and the Kernel driver could not be installed and tested.
So I'm thinking of updating SONOMA when it's at its best. (around 13.5 or later)

I have another question, I am currently using Mac Studio Ventura13.1, HDSPe MADI FX,
Driver 13.1 Firmv89.

Is it okay to update to Sonoma in this state and update the driver to the latest V13.4 without changing the firm?
I'm wondering if the security level is automatically reset when the OS is updated.

There have been reports that in rare cases, even when accessing the Mac's internal drive, a message saying "There are no users on this volume" appears and the security level cannot be changed, so this is a bit worrying. I couldn't test external drives because of that. The behavior of M1 is quite unexpected.

landscape27 wrote:

I have another question, I am currently using Mac Studio Ventura13.1, HDSPe MADI FX,
Driver 1.31 Firm v89.

Is it okay to update to Sonoma in this state and update the driver to the latest V13.4 without changing the firm?
I'm wondering if the security level is automatically reset when the OS is updated.

There have been reports that in rare cases, even when accessing the Mac's internal drive, a message saying "There are no users on this volume" appears and the security level cannot be changed, so this is a bit worrying. I couldn't test external drives because of that. The behavior of M1 is quite unexpected.

I don't think that an OS update resets the security level, never noticed that nor read about it. But also can't guarantee that. But what prevents you to first update to driver 1.34? Lots of fixes and improvements compared to 1.31. And then firmware 92 can be used as well.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you for your reply.
As I wrote before, when I changed FUT from v89 to 91, it started to sound like the phase was reversed, so I haven't updated it since then. The word clock input was receiving a signal from Lucid GEN6.

I would like to upgrade to DriverV1.34 as is v89 and if there is no problem, I will try increasing it.

Is this okay?

Sure.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME