Topic: No Main Assigment after ADAt 3/4 in Fireface UFX?

Hi
Why Can't I assign the main out to ADAT 5/6 In Totalmix for the Fireface UFX?
https://scontent-lhr6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/426197139_10161198863359941_5566071455294194313_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=c42490&_nc_ohc=xD9FqJbpCcsAX_-wCoe&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr6-1.xx&oh=00_AfBYXSwHYVGPidnCI5fSINjf2z4VbXSyNRDbYdBJKSrOVA&oe=65CDABE9

2 (edited by waedi 2024-02-11 04:34:06)

Re: No Main Assigment after ADAt 3/4 in Fireface UFX?

In the Digiface USB all Adat channels are available for Assign.
Can't wait to read the explanation to this topic.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

3 (edited by ramses 2024-02-11 12:25:26)

https://scontent-lhr6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ … e=65CDABE9

@guix: If I look at your screenshot, then the list of ADAT channels contains only ADAT 1/2 and ADAT 3/4.

This is the case if the sample rate is quad speed (176.4/192 kHz), then only 2 channels per ADAT port remain.

The channel assignment is now: ADAT I/O port 1: ADAT 1/2, ADAT I/O port 2: ADAT 3/4

At higher sample rates (double, quad speed) ADAT ports need to be multiplexed ("bundled") to get the needed bandwidth, so:
— ADAT port @single  speed: 8ch
— ADAT port @double speed: 4ch
— ADAT port @quad    speed: 2ch

So I think there is no issue, works as expected.
Set the sample rate back to 44.1 or 48 kHz and you will see all 16 channels in total of ADAT1 and ADAT2.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I know, the Digiface USB is just what I had at hand to check if Totalmix behave the same way.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

ramses wrote:

@guix: If I look at your screenshot, then the list of ADAT channels contains only ADAT 1/2 and ADAT 3/4.

This is the case if the sample rate is quad speed (176.4/192 kHz), then only 2 channels per ADAT port remain.

The channel assignment is now: ADAT I/O port 1: ADAT 1/2, ADAT I/O port 2: ADAT 3/4

At higher sample rates (double, quad speed) ADAT ports need to be multiplexed ("bundled") to get the needed bandwidth, so:

Set the sample rate back to 44.1 or 48 kHz and you will see all 16 channels in total of ADAT1 and ADAT2.

Thanks That's helpful! Unfortunately I only have a baby face and I am testing for migrating to a UFX using the Offline editor, hence the sample rate is unchangeable and total mix doesn't show the current rate, only the fireface/madiface app (in windows the taskbar icon!)

Anybody with a Real UFX (not the UFX+ II or II) can confirm please?

6 (edited by ramses 2024-02-11 12:27:36)

guix wrote:
ramses wrote:

Thanks That's helpful! Unfortunately I only have a baby face and I am testing for migrating to a UFX using theOffline editor, hence the sample rate is unchangeable and total mix doesn't show the current rate, only the fireface/madiface app (in windows the taskbar icon!)

Anybody with a Real UFX (not the UFX+ II or II) can confirm please?

What kind of offline editor? Next time, please tell that directly upfront so that people know.

But what I'm wondering is, what do you think a UFX can't do compared to a Babyface?

Somehow, you're making things too complicated for yourself and others.
Just describe your use case and ask the specific question of whether the UFX can do the same.

Frankly, I can't think of anything that the Babyface can do but the UFX can't, it's more the other way around.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

What kind of offline editor? Next time, please tell that directly upfront so that people know.

Totalmix has an offline editor. ;- )
how should I know the online editor works differently than the real thing, If I did I wouldn't ask :- )

Somehow, you're making things too complicated for yourself and others.

Well that is not a nice :- (

Sorry, but you are using a terminology that does not exist.
There is not something like an "online" or "offline editor".

Up to now I have no clue what you mean or try to solve or find out...

The UFX is the former flagship product with way more functions compared to the BBF.
So what are you "worried about" when "migrating"? Please ask real questions.

It doesn’t matter which interface you have. If you use a single adat in port then as mentioned above you get a reduction in channels as you go up sample rates as ramses showed you. TotalMix will reflect this and you can only change it in the fireface settings. That’s it. I’m guessing you mean offline as when the interface is not plugged in? In that case that won’t show you anything useful.

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

ramses wrote:

Sorry, but you are using a terminology that does not exist.
There is not something like an "online" or "offline editor".

Up to now I have no clue what you mean or try to solve or find out...

The UFX is the former flagship product with way more functions compared to the BBF.
So what are you "worried about" when "migrating"? Please ask real questions.

It's called Offline device set up in Totalmix. Look it up it's really cool.

The Offline Device Setup feature does not include sample rate controls, so only shows the state at single speed (44.1/48 kHz).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

The Offline Device Setup feature does not include sample rate controls, so only shows the state at single speed (44.1/48 kHz).

So this confirms UFX does not allow Main after ADAT 3/4 right?

no.

I don't know why the Offline Editor shows only 4 ADAT channels as choice, but in the real unit you can select all of the 16 ADAT channels.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

I don't know why the Offline Editor shows only 4 ADAT channels as choice, but in the real unit you can select all of the 16 ADAT channels.

Cool, Thanks!

16 (edited by ramses 2024-02-11 20:56:14)

I would concentrate on comparing I/O ports and features.

TotalMix FX is to felt 98% the same between interfaces. One digital mixer for all recording interfaces. Only little differences like the new Room EQ and Crossfeed which is only available for interfaces where the FPGA (flashable CPU inside of the device) has enough capacity free.

The UFX is a flagship interface, it offers many more features and ports compared to your BBF.
So any migration of any devices will simply work.

The only difference between the ADAT ports is, that AFAIK BBF (or BBF Pro) had auto recognition whether input signal is ADAT or SPDIF or something in that range.

With the UFX you have two ADAT ports, where only the 2nd can be configured for optical SPDIF protocol, you have to configure it in the driver settings.

My Excel might help you to compare the interfaces / technical Specs / features.
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=35156