Topic: Second FF800 via ADAT routing help

Hello everyone. Hoping someone can clarify a couple things.

I got a good deal on a second FF800 to give me some more inputs along with preamps.

I have the 2nd set as a standalone (slave) and have channel inputs 1-8 working, however I am getting no input for the channels 9 and 10 on the front of the unit (XLR inputs)

I have followed the video at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfexKXS7wNk

However the matrix in that video is outdated. I have attached a screenshot of my matrix here:

https://counterpointmusic.com/pics/totalmix.jpg

Is this because 9-16 use adat2? Do I simply need another set of optical cables to run ADAT2 in and out of both units to take advantage of 9/10 inputs?

Please let me know. I hope it's as simple as this. I have 2 more cables on order inc case this is it but not any at the moment to test it.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Re: Second FF800 via ADAT routing help

You have routed the inputs 9/10 to the hardware outputs AD9 and AD10,
this can be Adat 9/10 and you have to use the second port with another set of toslink cables as you already thought.
I would try.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

I really only need one cable from standalone adat2 out to connected adat2 in for the additional 9-16 channels correct?

Also, Can I daisy chain the standalone via an FW800 cable so both total mix windows are always available? This will let me turn phantom on and off on the standalone when I need to without having to reconnect it to the computer?

4 (edited by waedi 2024-02-15 03:27:53)

ferenzy wrote:

I really only need one cable from standalone adat2 out to connected adat2 in for the additional 9-16 channels correct?

The clock sync then has to be
The second unit (standalone unit) clock-mode internal
The first unit clock-mode external optical Adat input.

ferenzy wrote:

Also, Can I daisy chain the standalone via an FW800 cable so both total mix windows are always available? This will let me turn phantom on and off on the standalone when I need to without having to reconnect it to the computer?

Standalone in general means "without computer" but I can't tell you if this works, you may have to try out.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Hi
Yes, the second FF800 can stay connected to the computer to control it. Make sure you always choose the right unit ('nr. 1') in all software applications as audio hardware.
I would recommend to set the first unit as clock master. Like this, it follows the sample rate settings of the DAW or other software, and also the second ('standalone') unit follows automatically when set as slave. You’ll avoid mismatches.

UCX - FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2