1 (edited by jedd 2024-02-12 00:48:43)

Topic: Random but persistent Audio Glitching issue

Hello, and thanks for your time.

I've been trying to troubleshoot this for months and I need your expertise.

I have what seems like an audio buffering issue with my 6 months old laptop PC, most likely related to Windows.

First the context:

- Lenovo Legion Slim 7i Gen8 (2023)
- Intel i7-13700H
- 32GB Ram (2x16 matching and memtested)
- Windows 11 up-to-date
- Reaper 7.10 (latest)
- Antivirus: Windows Defender
- RME Fireface UCX II - Asio driver (latest)

The entire system is very stable save from this particular issue:

Occasionally, when I'm making music on Reaper (and also listening to audio feeds from other apps through Windows), suddenly the audio from all sources becomes completely and severely distorted. This also applies to outbound audio going from a perfectly working mic to, say, Discord for example.
This would be comparable to a sampling rate issue or a very low buffer size on an interface, but the both the sound coming from Reaper and all Windows sources remain in this state permanently until I reset the audio stream by:

- Disconnecting and reconnecting it
- Using a Reaper action like "mpl_Reset audio and MIDI device.lua" which resets the audio interface entirely (like a panic button would)
- Relaunching an application to completely reset the audio stream
- And of course, rebooting the entire PC

The issue triggers suddenly, unrelated to workload. It will happen when I'm working on a track or just idling watching a video far from the keyboard. Sometimes thrice an hour, sometimes once a day. But it's always the same symptoms.
Once the problem has "triggered", it doesn't matter what load there is, the issue stays consistent until a manual reset.

I used to believe this was due to bad interface drivers but now I've experienced it on 4 different interfaces with different manufacturers and drivers, the last of which is a brand new UCX II. The RME menu also shows 0/0 errors detected in the USB stream.

I've replicated the issue outside of Reaper too so I'm fairly certain this is due to Win11 or a 3rd party background service. I've updated the BIOS, updated all drivers, reverted to old drivers to test it out.

I wasn't able to link this to a background task like an antivirus or something. I tried cleaning up a lot of background bloatware but to no avail.

LatencyMon readings vary but I tried tweaking power management settings quite a bit to get it very low and even then the issue still happens at the same frequency roughly. The usual DPC suspects are there but not much else: wdf01000.sys, ndis.sys, dxgkrnl.sys, ntoskrnl.exe

Thanks a lot for your time in any case, and have a lovely day!

2 (edited by waedi 2024-02-12 02:26:48)

Re: Random but persistent Audio Glitching issue

Has the computer any multicore management ?
The Reaper Preferences Buffer settings has multiprocessing enabled ? How many cores ?
If you switch off Defender and WIFI and Bluetooth and disconnect from internet ?
Are external USB harddrives connected ?
USB hub ?
Disconnect power charger ?

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

3 (edited by ramses 2024-02-12 08:57:29)

What ASIO buffersize do you use? Does the problem vanish or is it getting better with higher ASIO buffersizes?

Did you try all USB ports (maybe some are from chipset, some from 3rd party chipset).

Does it make a difference to disable WiFi and Bluetooth? Does it bring better values?
I hope your mouse and keyboard are cabled and that you can use a LAN cable.

How are the LatencyMon values?
Screenshot after 5-10 min and of the tab with the drivers, how long they run plus copy/paste of the ASCII report.

Do the errors come with a certain compute load, e.g. Firefox browsing the internet?
I had a business laptop from Lenovo that had additionally an nVidia GPU.
It helped to run Firefox over the nVidia GPU chip, there was a menu where you could configure applications to use CPU internal graphics or nVidia graphics. This solved the issue so that I was able to run the Laptop with the UFX at the lowest ASIO buffer sizes (48 at single speed).

Is this still the Windows installation from the factory?
I remember that a friend of mine had severe performance issues with his Lenovo.
A new installation of Windows and excluding (!) the installation of Lenovo System tools for wireless, blower control, bios updates, driver updates, etc solved the issue. Plain installation of Windows! Only needed add-on drivers, in case windows has none. No fancy tools from Lenovo.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thank you both for your quick replies.

I have already investigated most of your suggestions but I will go through the list methodically so we can hopefully find the culprit together.

That is, once I have the time to investigate further. I'm a bit pressed by deadlines and various stuff at the moment.

Cheers, and thanks again!

What power plan are you using. For audio work you really need to use an always on power plan. I use the ultimate power plan in windows 11. Google it to see how to enable it. You can always switch to balanced when it dies t matter as much. This may not be the problem so do try other things mentioned including running latencyMon

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.