Topic: FOH Phantom Power a Threat?

I want to use a Fireface UFX to send line level output channels to FOH.
Since there is no way to know what mixers and how they work on each gig it could happen that phantom power could be on and come to the Analog Outs of the Fireface.
Is that OK or could that be bad?

Re: FOH Phantom Power a Threat?

Hi
To be on the save side you could use DI boxes or similar. If there really would be phantom power, we are talking about mic inputs on mixer side, so also the levels could be an issue anyway.

UCX - FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

The UFX has 25V rated elctrolytic capacitors at its analog outputs, so it's not a good idea to apply 48 V.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hmmm...

So basically I would need something like this to be safe yeah?

https://artproaudio.com/product/t8-8-ch … -isolator/

guix wrote:

Since there is no way to know what mixers and how they work on each gig it could happen that phantom power could be on and come to the Analog Outs of the Fireface.

i can't imagine this situation.
Owners of mixing consoles usually don't let people from a band alone connecting stuff to their console.
you tell what you have to connect ( "analog line-level stereo" no phantom power !) and they will provide you the place to stick the cables.
It's all communication.
Otherwise phantom power switches are next to the XLR microphone sockets or at the back a general phantom-power ON/OFF switch.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

6 (edited by guix 2024-02-15 18:45:57)

waedi wrote:
guix wrote:

i can't imagine this situation.
Owners of mixing consoles usually don't let people from a band alone connecting stuff to their console.
you tell what you have to connect ( "analog line-level stereo" no phantom power !) and they will provide you the place to stick the cables.
It's all communication.
Otherwise phantom power switches are next to the XLR microphone sockets or at the back a general phantom-power ON/OFF switch.

Well its quite a typical situation for a band with their own an IEM system. It happens all the time. Band connects instruments to their IEM system and then send channels to FOH.. there are thousands of bands doing this everyday.

So I need to send to FOH some tracks to mix... could do splitters at the mic ins but small venues have small mixers and I run a 26 track show.
So I prefer to send the FOH 16 tracks from Totalmix.
This involves using Fireface's Outs, hence the question.