Topic: dumb question AES to xlr conversion?

Hi fellas!

So I'm hunting for a new interface that has enough I/O and features for what I'm wanting to do, and also has top notch AD/DA conversion.

The UFX III alllmost fits the bill, but it's one set short  of sends if I use the 1 & 2 XLR out for my monitors.  I was looking to see if there's a way to use the AES out and if there's a converter out there in the world to convert it for an XLR input as my monitors only take XLR.    If I could do that then I'm set on all the I/O I need for now.

I googled until I got tired of googling and couldn't find anything so I ask you peoples who are more knowledgeable than I. 

I know i could just get ferrofish or something to get that extra set and call it a day, but it's a bit of a chunk of change just to get one more set of stereo outs.

thanks!!   And apologies for the dumb question.

Re: dumb question AES to xlr conversion?

But AES output already uses the XLR connector. Do your monitors have AES input?

correct, it's an XLR connector, but not an analogue signal output for an XLR input.   My monitors don't have an AES input unfortunately, only an XLR input. 

(ー_ーゞ 

So basically I'd need to convert the AES digital signal to an XLR compliant analogue signal right?    Or maybe my googling led me astray

You could add one of the ADI-2 converter models. UFX III AES out to ADI-2 AES in - DA conversion - ADI-2 analog output to monitor speakers. Or another 2-channel DA converter with AES or SPDIF input.
Only to avoid misunderstandings: XLR is the form factor of certain audio cable connectors. It can be used for analog signals as well as for digital ones (AES/EBU).

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

cool cool

yeah I figured.   

I did manage to find a few AES to analogue converters after googling some more, but they were pretty pricey for what they were so I'd probably be better off just doing something like the ADI-2's or just doing a ferrofish or something for more I/O.   

thanks fellas!

I think I got the answers to my questions!

bellis22 wrote:

cool cool

yeah I figured.   

I did manage to find a few AES to analogue converters after googling some more, but they were pretty pricey for what they were so I'd probably be better off just doing something like the ADI-2's or just doing a ferrofish or something for more I/O.   

thanks fellas!

I think I got the answers to my questions!

Before you buy something, come back and let verify by the pros here.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

yep!  Will do!

It'll be just a bit before I'm ready to buy.  Gotta get tax season done first and see if I owe a bunch or if I get some back lol