1 (edited by darenwalker5150 2024-02-17 23:44:36)

Topic: Looking for some help with crackling when recording through my UFX II

Hello, new to the forum so i hope this is the bet place to post. I have found a few other threads from folks with similar issues, but the fixes were either very complex or the resolution was very specific to their PC build and settings.

Basically i recieved a refurbished fireface UFX II which had a power supply issue that had been fixed. Im using it through the newest version of Reaper and im getting great audio for playback through the main monitor outputs 1+2 but when record through inputs 9 or 10 on the front i get a lot of crackling unless i go up to a sample rate of 128 or higher which makes it difficult to monitor with the delay im hearing. On my old audient ID22 im replacing i could get down to 16 without much issue until i had a bunch of plugins running.

it sounds like there are some usb 3.0 compatibility issues but ive tried all my ports including the ones i believe are USB 1.0 and the issue is the same.

I figured out how to monitor through totalmix but then i cant hear the plugins im using in my DAW.

Listing my system specs and USB port info below in case that is helpful. Appreciate any advice on this!

version: 10.0.19045
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6 core - 3.60Ghz
Motherboard: MPG X570 Gaming edge wifi (MS-7C37) baseboard version 1.0

USB DEVICE MANAGER SETTINGS:
AMD USB 3.10 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.10 microsoft (there are 3 of these)
generic superspeed usb hub
generic usb hub
generic usb hub
usb composite device (3 of these)
usb root hub (3.0) (there are 3 of these)

Ive got the RME inputs and outputs selected correctly in window sound manager with all my devices and DAW set to 48000 and matching sample rates.

2 (edited by waedi 2024-02-18 06:28:04)

Re: Looking for some help with crackling when recording through my UFX II

In Reaper what output channel have you selected ? Outputs for master track ?
you say you can monitor thru Totalmix, what exactly can you monitor ? Anything from Reaper ? Or only other computer sound Youtube, MP3s, etc ?
If you can't hear the plugins, I assume you can't hear anything from Reaper, may be you should select other output channels there.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

I was able to resolve the issue for the most part. This interface is a little more sensitive to heavy CPU use than my other interface for some reason but bypassing some of the plugins let me record with 64 samples which is fine. I was getting output from my DAW just fine but it was crackling pretty bad.

I will say the preamps and conversion on this sound great though and the latency with using analog gear is really good.

Congratulation.
Software instruments can by very CPU hungry and your AMD 6-core may get at the edge.
Buffersize 64 indeed is not bad.
what also is a good workaround, use other plugins, a low-CPU synth for recording the Midi (and monitoring with very low latency) and afterwards replace the instrument for the rendering.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

5 (edited by ramses 2024-02-18 11:00:20)

@darenwalker5150:
You could measure DPC Latency to check whether your systems respond fast enough to a DAW load.

You should ensure, that you disabled energy saving on your system, which reduces DPC latency.
a) in the BIOS: by disabling C-/P-/T-States, C1E and enabling TURBO and EIST is useful to control the CPU clock by Windows
b) on Windows by
- using the energy profile High or Ultimate Performance (needs to be enabled, use Google for the powercfg command)
- check, that CPU core parking is disabled, you can check the energy profile by using Bitsum's parkcontrol utility

This table gives you an idea what CPU related latencies you avoid by disabling energy saving in the BIOS (C-States and alike):

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/91qsgh3b64dl8mhsa09lv/2024-02-18-Energy-Saving-BIOS-C-States-Latencies.jpg?rlkey=80yderswczcx39svs1ilyceie&dl=1

Without energy saving you get lower DPC latencies and as a result of this, your system can react more agile to a DAW load.
LatencyMon also supports you well to check which drivers use most CPU time (see tab drivers, highest execution time).

It might still be the case, that you are limited by your CPUs single- and multi-thread performance.
In that regard, it could also be worth checking your DAW projects:
- avoid putting too many VST into one track as insert, this has to run on one thread of your CPU
- if you use CPU hungry VSTi (instruments) take care to freeze the track which creates a wav file for the track saving CPU cycles
- if you are using reverbs, use it as send effect
- avoid CPU hungry VST when recording

You could also export the tracks with VSTi or all tracks forming the "backing track" and import it as wave file so that you have fewer performance demands when recording to the backing track.

Regarding USB...

You mentioned USB3 … the UFX II uses USB2. Each USB3 port is fully backward compatible to USB2.
If you look at an USB3 pinout, the pins for USB2 and USB3 are completely separate.
There are no USB1 controllers any more, USB2 is simply backward compatible to USB1.

You should try every USB port (USB3 and USB2 ports) on your machine, to check whether the drops vanish on a certain port.

When keeping the driver settings window open then a CRC check runs, there you can check if you have any USB transport errors which also could be a reason for audio drops.

In some cases, a good strategy is, to buy a separate USB3 PCIe card to isolate the recording interface behind it.
I would buy a Sonnet card with FL1100 USB3 controller just. Reason: just in case that you would upgrade to an UFX III recording interface in the future. RME tested a few USB3 controllers and the FL1100 is known to run well. Another nice thing is, that the FL1100 (as some other) uses more efficient MSI interrupts and Windows 10 has a suitable driver for it.

Regarding tuning tips for PC or LatencyMon there are many useful postings in this forum, check it out.
Using the extended search you can search for my name and also for the keywords: LatencyMon, powermizer, OS, real-time
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 94#p185494
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 23#p164223

The essence of it, "Why are low DPCs so crucial for a good working system?"

All systems (no matter whether Windows or Apple) are not real-time operating systems.
For data integrity reasons, drivers are not under the control of the process scheduler.
It is hard-coded in the driver, how long they run and when the (I/O) job is finished, they detach themselves from a CPU core.
There are drivers where the developers violated programming conventions, how long it may be active on a CPU core.
If an audio related job with real-time demands has been scheduled by the Operating Systems job scheduler to run on a CPU core, where such a bad driver is running (for too long) then the likeliness for audio drops is high.
It is even higher when working with small ASIO buffer sizes because then the CPU has more load (also interrupt load) and can only process smaller chunks of audio data. Comparable to emptying a bathtub with a thimble instead of a bucket.
Higher ASIO buffer sizes can mitigate or even solve the effect of bad drivers (High DPC latencies) up to a certain point (DAW load).

In other words, if you can solve the issue with high DPC latencies, then your CPU cores can work more agile on different tasks, driver, and user code.
And this you do by
- enabling only hardware in the BIOS that you need
- using good drivers
- disabling power saving in the BIOS and on Windows
- disabling CPU core parking
- using BIOS/Windows settings to get a stable CPU clock without too many rapid changes
In Ultimate Performance mode, no CPU cores are being parked, and all cores run at base frequency plus 200 MHz by having TURBO enabled in the BIOS.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

@ramses

Thanks for this info, this is very helpful. I am thinking now that the USB ports are not part of the issue i was having but i will try your advice on changing the energy settings.