Topic: How ADI-2 Pro FS R BE can still use AK4493 if they're not available?

Hi.

Considering ADI-2 Pro FS R BE and want to clarify something about the DAC chip.
If AK4493 is not manufactured anymore after the factory fire 3 years ago, how ADI-2 Pro FS R BE can still use it?
Do you have a stash of them in a warehouse or specs on the website not up to date?

Thanks.

Re: How ADI-2 Pro FS R BE can still use AK4493 if they're not available?

From https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 22#p173122 , 2021-07-10 10:14:14

MC wrote:
puddingoreo wrote:

Will there be ESS version of PRO, or PRO would stay AKM ?

The ADI-2 Pro FS R BE will not change to ESS. We have enough AKM chips in stock for these units for some time.

The warehouse seems to have been sufficiently filled for more than 3 years.

Ralf
(ADI-2 Pro FS with ThinkPad Yoga L13, Dynaudio Focus 600 XD or Focal Clear — and a lot of Jazz)

My guess is, the ADI-2 Pro will finally be replaced by the ADI-2/4 Pro SE.

The models are too similar to longterm justify offering both.

But who knows, my glass-ball isn‘t clearer than anybody else’s.

KaiS wrote:

But who knows, my glass-ball isn‘t clearer than anybody else’s.

Hi Kai, if you don't currently own and don't plan to own a turntable... what benefit is the ADI-2/4 Pro over the ADI-2 Pro, if any? 

Thank you for your advice.

5 (edited by waedi 2024-02-19 22:17:43)

RME products features comparison list made by forum member ramses :
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/attachme … 1-12-xlsx/

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

waedi wrote:

RME products features comparison list made by forum member ramses :
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/attachme … 1-12-xlsx/

That's a handy spreadsheet.  If it was meant for me - Thank You for sharing.  Unfortunately, I don't see either the ADI-2 Pro or ADI-2/4 Pro listed.

KaiS wrote:

Yes, but this will only work if RME will significantly reduce the price (by ~700€) of the ADI-2/4 Pro SE.
This device has a real ROI issue in the existing ADI-2 line-up!

ADI-2 Pro FS R BE

jmimac351 wrote:

... what benefit is the ADI-2/4 Pro over the ADI-2 Pro, if any? 

A second pair of independent line outputs at he back side and a Pentaconn headphone output at he front. Kai has already written about the differences at https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 47#p198547 .

Ralf
(ADI-2 Pro FS with ThinkPad Yoga L13, Dynaudio Focus 600 XD or Focal Clear — and a lot of Jazz)

9 (edited by KaiS 2024-02-20 09:27:57)

jmimac351 wrote:

Hi Kai, if you don't currently own and don't plan to own a turntable... what benefit is the ADI-2/4 Pro over the ADI-2 Pro, if any.

Improvements of ADI-2/4 Pro SE over ADI-2 Pro:

• A few dB better specs here and there, albeit all ADI-2’s are already far beyond good and bad.

• Balanced headphones now use DAC channels 3/4 only (Pro needs to occupy 1/2 + 3/4) and the rear outputs can still output an independent signal via DAC 1/2.

• Single standard 4.4 mm Pentaconn for balanced headphones, instead of proprietary 2xTRS balanced solution.

• Headphone amplifiers including IEM power setting and super low noise 4.4 mm Pentaconn balanced connection.

• Headphones outs now have a little more power, 4 W max. balanced.

• Balanced line out Rear TRSs now can be assigned to channels 3/4, for an independent 2nd line output.

• Trigger Out socket provides a 12 V switching signal via 3.5 mm mono jack plug, which can be used e.g. to switch power amps with Trigger In on and off together with the ADI-2/4 Pro.

• 5 (DAC/PRO: 4) reference levels, which keeps SNR/DR high over an even longer range. This makes the feature Auto Ref Level even more useful.

•  The new Power Supply (ATS040T-P120) now has a 3-prong-connector that includes safety ground in a “soft-ground” configuration.
The safety ground isn’t connected directly to ADI-2/4 Pro SE, but through a 1 kOhm resistor.
This avoids stray current related hum that can appear in few certain use-cases, but avoids possible ground loop related hum from a fully grounded 3-prong mains PSU.

• DAC-chips changed from AKM to ESS.
According to my extensive, level matched blind A/B comparison, both sound the same IF SAME SHAPED DA-FILTERS ARE USED.
Albeit, most same-named DA-Filters have different shapes between AKM and ESS, ONLY IN CASE USING THESE both chips sound different.
The filters are well documented in each model’s manual.
“Sharp” sounds the same, the others are different.
The audible difference only occurs with sample rates of 44.1 and 48 kHz.
With SRs above the filters are out of the audible range.

•  Vinyl turntable input consisting of:
Analog Preamp, AD Converter,  digital RIAA EQ.
Directly compatible with MM- and high-output MC-pickups.
With additional MC step up transformer compatible with low output MC-pickups.

ADI-2/4 Pro SE’s digital RIAA configuration, built in DSP hardware, is unique:
Preamplification -> AD Conversion -> digital RIAA EQ - has, opposed to the typical solution of analog RIAA filtering, the objective advantage of completely abandoning the filter capacitors from the signal path.

Every capacitor in the world, even the most expensive ones, adds nonlinear distortions to the signal, an objective, measurable fact.
Using capacitors as filters is the worst case application in this regard.

ADI-2/4 Pro SE’s digital RIAA concept elegantly circumvents this.

Personally I’ve come back to listen to my vinyl collection after a long time of abstinence , since I got my ADI-2 Pro SE,
I’m using a Dynavector DV Karat 17 D2 MK2 MC-pickup with an Ortofon T-30 stepup transformer.

Old vinyls, made in the pre-digital era, have a different and often favorable sound, because they have been recorded different, in multiple ways.
If you’re out for something special…

10 (edited by jmimac351 2024-02-20 01:52:04)

KaiS wrote:
jmimac351 wrote:

Hi Kai, if you don't currently own and don't plan to own a turntable... what benefit is the ADI-2/4 Pro over the ADI-2 Pro, if any.

• Trigger Out socket provides a 12 V switching signal via 3.5 mm mono jack plug, which can be used e.g. to switch power amps with Trigger In on and off together with the ADI-2/4 Pro.

•  The new Power Supply (ATS040T-P120) now has a 3-prong-connector that includes safety ground in a “soft-ground” configuration.
The safety ground isn’t connected directly to ADI-2/4 Pro SE, but through a 1 kOhm resistor.
This avoids stray current related hum that can appear in few certain use-cases, but avoids possible ground loop related hum from a fully grounded 3-prong mains PSU.

According to my extensive, level matched blind A/B comparison, both sound the same IF SAME SHAPED DA-FILTERS ARE USED.
Albeit, most same-named DA-Filters have different shapes between AKM and ESS, ONLY IN CASE USING THESE both chips sound different.

Thank You.  I have no use for RIAA / Headphones... but the power supply tweak would be of interest! 

As for the DAC chip / filters... I have found the "SLOW" filter to be very nice.  I agree with you about the filters. 

I have a few other AKM DACs, some "Multibit" DACs, and an ESS based DAC that I am playing with right now...

• RME ADI-2 DAC FS (AKM4493)

• TEAC UD-505 AIO (AKM4497)

• Schiit Audio Modius (AKM4493)

• Schiit Audio Yggradrasil+ GS2 (Multibit)

• Schiit Modi (Multibit)

• Schiit Bifrost 2/64 (Multibit)

• Ayre Acoustics QB-9 Twenty (ES9038Q2M)

Yes, I have 7 DACs under the roof and I'm running thru all of them.  Previously I also owned a Border Patrol DAC SE.  What I have learned is this:

They All Sound Good

What am I coming to conclude? 

#1 I am glad I am going to this effort / expense.  I've bought almost all of the equipment used, and bought well.  The one new piece is still in the return window.  Still, it takes effort to acquire and then move along to a new home.

#2 Basing "sound decisions" on stuff you read on the internet is risky.  People have different gear, tastes, judgment, opinions... and perhaps more importantly - Hidden Agendas.  Especially if there are financial considerations tied to "Audio Reviews", which is often the case.  If you can... listen for yourself, and be honest with yourself about whether something really IS better - regardless of what others think, who made it, or what it cost.

#3 Be open to experiencing new things and do not dig your heels in on DACs.  When / if something "better" comes along... have a listen.  If you like it and want it, buy it.

#4 My opinion... anyone comparing 2 DACs based on aural memory, and not listening in real time... I am suspect of that.  That's not my experience. "Trust, but Verify"

#5 I'm certain the RME "ESS DACs" sound great as well, but that's not what people are hung up on.  My Ayre QB-9 Twenty sounds great with its ESS chip.   

#6 Since I think all of these DACs sound good... the User Experience and the Flexibility of these units is the real differentiator. 

But, perhaps my gear "isn't good enough to hear the difference"? 

Well, I'm running Ayre KX-5 Twenty Preamp / Ayre VX-5 Twenty Amp / Equi=Tech Model 1.5Q Balanced Power.  I'm just using the "DAC as a DAC", so the RME and TEAC are just as a "DAC".  Speakers are Wilson Audio Duette with custom crossovers.  The issues in the speaker have been fixed and they are INCREDIBLE.  They are now a coherent, balanced 2-way speaker that play BIG.  So, I think my gear is good enough.  Besides, it's what matters to ME that is important.  What matters to "You" is most important, for you.  As it should be. 

If curious about the speakers... see here.  I'm the owner and visiting Texas next week to see about Open Baffle setups:

https://youtu.be/o_PJzPBCaOY?si=ArTPizswDMVoIpXN

So, all of these DACS are of widely varying price points, makes, etc. and if I'm coming to conclude that Features and User Experience are #1... well:

The RME ADI stuff wins - FOR ME 

Some would suggest the RME is complicated. Yes - but I'll take "complicated" and Feature Rich over "Lacking Features".  I'll learn how to use it, and frankly, I've found that challenge to be part of the fun.  TIP: The RME Remote is EXCELLENT!  If you are not using the RME Remote... stop dragging your feet and download / set it up now.  It completely changes the experience, for the better!  It's great on iPad and works great on my MacBook as well. If only I could control it via Bluetooth... but life is hard. smile. Besides, Amazon sells 15' USB cables. smile

Now, my reason for looking at the the ADI-2 Pro is for Digital Out.  Why do I "need" Digital Out if I also say that the DACs all sound good? Well, I also know myself... so, when I get an itch to try some other "flavor of the month", or if something NewI comes along in digital, I can do that.  I can plug it right into the system I already know well.  Plus, I can do that while tweaking with PEQ and going direct into my amp. (Making sure I can do this is the last box for me to check off.  I think I understand the manual clearly enough on this Use Case).

Some suggest ADI-2/4 Pro for RIAA flexibility and Headphones.  I use neither and that is nowhere on the horizon.  I'll very likely opt for ADI-2 Pro for "Digital Flexibility", as that is where my interests lie and my listening habits are very clearly defined.  In the meantime, I'll just have to "make do" with my great little ADI-2 DAC FS. 

Well, that's my current recipe for Fun.  Others may have a different recipe.

Don't stress out over DAC chips... I now no longer do that.  Now, I am all about "Features / Utility / Flexibility"...and Speakers.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/Wilson-Duette/i-KFFj3P4/1/FMXcHLJHnCPns6ZQbXWGSMVr5PnsLDgBxbR3TB5Qc/M/New_Old_on_axis%20response-M.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/Wilson-Duette/i-hqDQS7X/0/CZJpBBJVPLHMcNgWR2L5gLPtpjD9gprsXRb7PGqDs/M/WilsonAudioDuette10Degree-M.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/Wilson-Duette/i-HfJGvkM/0/CzdWXpt98Lqkkq4v6LmWVWN67msFc7KP7VHz8RFkd/M/WilsonCrossoverPair-M.jpg

rawac wrote:
jmimac351 wrote:

... what benefit is the ADI-2/4 Pro over the ADI-2 Pro, if any? 

A second pair of independent line outputs at he back side and a Pentaconn headphone output at he front. Kai has already written about the differences at https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 47#p198547 .

Thank you.

12 (edited by ramses 2024-02-20 07:45:38)

KaiS wrote:
jmimac351 wrote:

• A few dB better specs here and there, albeit all ADI-2’s are already far beyond good and bad.

• Balanced headphones now use DAC channels 3/4 only (Pro needs to occupy 1/2 + 3/4) and the rear outputs can still output an independent signal via DAC 1/2.

• Single standard 4.4 mm Pentaconn for balanced headphones, instead of proprietary 2xTRS balanced solution.

• Headphone amplifiers including IEM power setting and super low noise 4.4 mm Pentaconn balanced connection.

• Headphones outs now have a little more power, 4 W max. balanced.

• Balanced line out Rear TRSs now can be assigned to channels 3/4, for an independent 2nd line output.

•  Vinyl turntable input consisting of:
Analog Preamp, AD Converter,  digital RIAA EQ.
Directly compatible with MM- and high-output MC-pickups.
With additional MC step up transformer compatible with low output MC-pickups.

ADI-2/4 Pro SE’s digital RIAA configuration, built in DSP hardware, is unique:
Preamplification -> AD Conversion -> digital RIAA EQ - has, opposed to the typical solution of analog RIAA filtering, the objective advantage of completely abandoning the filter capacitors from the signal path.

Every capacitor in the world, even the most expensive ones, adds nonlinear distortions to the signal, an objective, measurable fact.
Using capacitors as filters is the worst case application in this regard.

ADI-2/4 Pro SE’s digital RIAA concept elegantly circumvents this.

Personally I’ve come back to listen to my vinyl collection after a long time of abstinence , since I got my ADI-2 Pro SE,
I’m using a Dynavector DV Karat 17 D2 MK2 MC-pickup with an Ortofon T-30 stepup transformer.

Old vinyls, made in the pre-digital era, have a different and often favorable sound, because they have been recorded different, in multiple ways.
If you’re out for something special…

Thanks KaiS for the list. A few things I could use well for finalizing my model comparison, see below.

There is one thing missing, that I didn't see in the list:

• The unit has now 5 (DAC/PRO: 4) reference levels, which keeps SNR/DR high over an even longer range. This makes the feature Auto Ref Level even more useful.

While we are at it, just updated the model overview here:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 06#p165706

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

13 (edited by KaiS 2024-02-20 09:32:33)

ramses wrote:

There is one thing missing, that I didn't see in the list:

• The unit has now 5 (DAC/PRO: 4) reference levels, which keeps SNR/DR high over an even longer range. This makes the feature Auto Ref Level even more useful.

I had though about including it (did now), but the extension is just 3 dB in the range, as the level spacing now is different, more evenly.

14 (edited by jmimac351 2024-02-20 10:16:06)

What are the main differences between the NT-RME-12 and NT-RME-11 power supplies, and is one more appropriate to use than the other for the ADI-2 Pro R BE or ADI-2 DAC FS?  Does one have the 1kO resistor and the other doesn't?

I assume the NT-RME-12 is the power supply included with the ADI-2/4 Pro.

Thank you.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/Miscellaneous-Audio/i-mMRqt2P/0/FZvNvP5gtd3XXBLJ2SGzKqwK3GvgFBXbV6hNb2Z5p/M/RMEPowerSupplies-M.jpg

mkx87xx wrote:

Hi.

Considering ADI-2 Pro FS R BE and want to clarify something about the DAC chip.
If AK4493 is not manufactured anymore after the factory fire 3 years ago

The AK4493 is one of the few chips that is still available, now produced in a different factory.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

jmimac351 wrote:

What are the main differences between the NT-RME-12 and NT-RME-11 power supplies? Does one have the 1kO resistor and the other doesn't?

All RME PSUs with IEC socket (3-prong mains cable) do have the resistor.

jmimac351 wrote:

No. In fact the web listing is wrong and should be updated today. The NT-RME-11 is the 40 watts ps for the ADI-2/4 Pro SE.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:
jmimac351 wrote:

What are the main differences between the NT-RME-12 and NT-RME-11 power supplies? Does one have the 1kO resistor and the other doesn't?

All RME PSUs with IEC socket (3-prong mains cable) do have the resistor.

jmimac351 wrote:

No. In fact the web listing is wrong and should be updated today. The NT-RME-11 is the 40 watts ps for the ADI-2/4 Pro SE.

Good to know, thank you for clarifying.