Topic: Babyface Breakdown with new driver updates

Hi Guys, I have had my trusted rme babyface for about 12 years. its been an amazing unit. I've ran it with mac, windows and linux in class compliant mode. yesterday I updated the windows drivers and the firmware with the latest rme offering and apparently i'm up to date. However my unit has gone haywire, it wont register in windows at all and then if I restart it over and over it sometimes comes back on. Total mix wont load and windows cant see it for sound output choice. It works perfectly on my mac with old mac drivrs and even on linux in class compliant mode. This leads me to believe there is something wrong with the drivers and firmware (flash) for windows with an older babyface. Does anyone know a fix for this? I installed an older driver and older firmware but it still wont register....... and then it does for a short while. I cant figure out what is in my system that is wrong with the new drivers. I unplugged all the other hardware devices  and t still wont register. Total mix is in the menu but it wont let me select it. Ive tried it in class compliant mode and normal mode and  it makes no difference. Any suggestions? thanks

Re: Babyface Breakdown with new driver updates

HI
I also have lost my RAYDAT card, trying to update to latest driver, 4.47. I unistalled the card and removed te old drivers but now Windows 11 only see a "Multimedia device" and says that there is no drivers to install even if I point to the location on my harddrive
where the exe. file is...

It might have to do with Windows but I do not know what to do...
Heip! Micke.

francisdunnery wrote:

windows cant see it for sound output

Set WDM devices to gerater than 0 in the BF Settings dialog.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

soderlund4 wrote:

HI
I also have lost my RAYDAT card, trying to update to latest driver, 4.47. I unistalled the card and removed te old drivers but now Windows 11 only see a "Multimedia device" and says that there is no drivers to install even if I point to the location on my harddrive
where the exe. file is...

It might have to do with Windows but I do not know what to do...
Heip! Micke.

How do you install drivers? There is nothing to point to - run rmeinstaller.exe and reboot.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

5 (edited by oli77sch 2024-02-27 09:57:14)

Hi both
I’m a Mac user myself, but what I learned in this forum here is in such cases often a cold reboot is needed.
Hopefully some Windows user chimes in with more helpful hints.
EDIT: Ha, MC just wrote his posts in the meantime…

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

MC wrote:
francisdunnery wrote:

I cannot open the settings and the settings on the total mix doesnt have WMD setting when i opened it in offline mode. what is WMD

You can't open the Fireface Settings Dialog ? But you can open Totalmix ?
This is not normal.
I would reinstall the driver and do a proper cold reboot.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

francisdunnery wrote:
MC wrote:
francisdunnery wrote:

I cannot open the settings and the settings on the total mix doesnt have WMD setting when i opened it in offline mode. what is WMD

It seems to be when i switch between class compliant mode and regular mode it comes back on..... before going off again later. Also, the WMD ( is this weapons of mass destruction)  was set to 6 so its not that. i changed it to 3 just for the hell of it. There is definitley a weird thing with the new drivers and the blue babyface but only on windows

i have reinstalled the babyface driver over and over trying different ones, ive even tried installing the babyface pro to see if it would work but  it diesnt. If i unplug the unit it and plug it back in it comes back on for a short time before either going off or going into that weird digtial thing that sounds like the film the matrix. yet works perfectly on my mac and linux. this is baffling. btw what is a PROPER rebbot

waedi wrote:

This is not normal.

10 (edited by waedi 2024-02-27 22:34:48)

francisdunnery wrote:

i have reinstalled the babyface driver over and over trying different ones, ive even tried installing the babyface pro to see if it would work but  it diesnt. If i unplug the unit it and plug it back in it comes back on for a short time before either going off or going into that weird digtial thing that sounds like the film the matrix. yet works perfectly on my mac and linux. this is baffling. btw what is a PROPER rebbot

waedi wrote:

This is not normal.

Proper cold reboot means you shut down the computer fully, not reboot from the menu.
Wait a few moments when the computer is off, then push the power button to start the computer.
The reboot from the windows menu lets reboot Windows, but parts of the system keeping under power.
Driver updates don't need this cold reboot but fresh installation does.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue