Topic: Simultaneous analogue output for mains and sub?

Hi, I am new to the forum and to the brand but am looking at getting the RME ADI-2 Pro FS R Black Edition for use in a high end hi fi system. The preamp and main mono block amps are fully balanced.
The primary reason I looking at this DAC is the EQ functionality as I have a ‘difficult’ listening room (suspended concrete floors) & limited ability for speaker placement to improve  the situation.
The main speakers are ‘full range’ and play down to 25Htz but their placement is exciting a room mode which is becoming more and more irritating! We have taken some room measurements we the most promising solution is to roll off the lower octave of the main speakers and use single sub, which can be positioned to avoid exiting the room as the mains do. This is where I hope the RME  ADI-2 Pro FS R Black Edition will be able to help
as I believe it has two DAC chips, and so;

Q - Can the two analogue XLR & TRS outputs be used simultaneously. ?
Q -If they can, then can they have different parameters set like gain and EQ so that I could essentially achieve an ‘active xover’
(A ‘nice to have’ would be to have a summed mono signal for the sub if poss)

I have read the online manual, (and that’s not for the faint hearted!) and I see from other posts that this is not a new question, but as far as I can tell the other cases were related to the standard FS unit and not the Pro FS R Black Edition.

Thanks, Mark

2 (edited by sryan 2024-02-29 18:14:15)

Re: Simultaneous analogue output for mains and sub?

I believe the 2/4 can do this but the outputs on the Blackface are signal-wise identical. The main feature of the 2/4 is that it can have different processing on each channel's dual outputs.

Q1: yes, you can use the simultaneously.
Q2: No. They use the same DAC, so the have always the same PEQ setting.

As mentioned you needed the ADI2/4 for your purpose. In this the TRS output can be switched to the 2nd  DAC and have its own PEQ setting.

Summing 2 channels to a mono signal while having a stereosignal from the other DAC  chip works at least at the ADI2pro and so I assume, it should work for the more recent ADI2/4 pro se as well.

Cheers

Cheers, Ernst

ADI-2 PRO FS R BE / ADI-2 DAC FS / some old multibit treasuers ;-)

Hi, appreciate the quick response, I thought that may be the case but its good to get it confirmed. Its not a deal breaker as it just means I will have to send the same signal and sort it out downstream, I Will probably go for something like the Crown XLS 1002 to drive the sub as this will still be cheaper that paying the extra for the 2/4

Thanks for your help

5 (edited by KaiS 2024-03-01 08:05:33)

The structure of the ADI-2/4 Pro SE allows all the configurations you are asking for:

• There are two full blown, independent signal paths, 1/2 and 3/4.
• They can carry the same - or different signals and have individual signal processings like EQ, Mono Summing etc.
• Their output volumes can be linked (with adjustable offset) for simultaneous volume control.

marksg1 wrote:

Q - Can the two analogue XLR & TRS outputs be used simultaneously?

Yes.
The XLRs are permanently connected to DSP / DA-channel 1/2.
The Rear TRSs can be assigned to 1/2 or 3/4.
XLR and TRS outputs both are balanced.

marksg1 wrote:

Q -If they can, then can they have different parameters set like gain and EQ so that I could essentially achieve an ‘active xover’ …

Yes.
DSP / DA channels 1/2 and 3/4 both have independent, full sets of DSP processing parameters.

marksg1 wrote:

…(A ‘nice to have’ would be to have a summed mono signal for the sub if poss)

Yes.
Mono Summing is available in ADI-2’s DSP parameter set.
Although typically it‘s not absolutely necessary, as most subs have “stereo” (dual) inputs that are mono-summed internally.

Still, it can be advantageous, as some subs have an extra LFE-input, that bypasses all sub’s internal filterings.
This way, creating an individual EQ/Filter set inside ADI-2’s EQ has more liberate options for better integration with the main speakers.

Final note:
ADI-2 Pro FS R BE has a similar structure and options, but lacks the individual asignment of Rear TRSs outputs to channel 3/4.
The front TRS PH 3/4 can be used for this purpose, working as stereo single ended line out.
The DSP options would even allow to configure (front) PH 3/4 TRS as mono balanced line output (to feed the sub).

marksg1 wrote:

Hi, appreciate the quick response, I thought that may be the case but its good to get it confirmed. Its not a deal breaker as it just means I will have to send the same signal and sort it out downstream, I Will probably go for something like the Crown XLS 1002 to drive the sub as this will still be cheaper that paying the extra for the 2/4

Thanks for your help

You are welcome.

In this case an ADI2DAC might be sufficient and even cheaper for you.

Cheers, Ernst

ADI-2 PRO FS R BE / ADI-2 DAC FS / some old multibit treasuers ;-)

I never though of Using the front outputs, now that opens up a few more options.

Have to say I'm impressed and a little bit taken back by the amount of features that the ADI-2 has. I spent some time last night loolking through the online manual trying to find out haw to add the correct amount of sugger to tea, I'm assuming it will make tea, it seams to do most other things.....
I have to buy one of these now just to see what else it can do.
Also appreciate the friendly and helpful advice from you guys, Thanks