Topic: Rme Ufx + problem with crackling. Plase HELP!

Good morning, I am a new user of this forum, so please be understanding.
I have a problem with the RME UFX+ card. The problem concerns crackling and drops. The drivers only behave stably when the buffer is set to 128 samples - example Sypmphobia PROJECT SAM - Multis. Which gives a total of 13 milliseconds of latency (roundtrip). We are talking about one plug-in, if there were several of them, it would tragedy...
Previously, I thought it was a computer issue, but now I replaced the computer with a really powerful unit: Intel Core I9 14900 KF processor, 64 GB Ram DDR5 (Corsair), Asus Rogstrix series wifi motherboard, Nvidia Geforce Palit series graphics, works on Windows 11 pro. There are no hardware collisions in the system. It detects the Rme UFX plus card, there are no exclamation marks, and its Flash and USB drivers are loaded with the latest...
The computer is connected with a USB 3.0 cable to the port directly on the back of the computer - to the motherboard. I checked with the RME software and there are no errors in the cable error message. The HOST icon on the tab lights up blue. The internal settings of the card are set to auto (automatically detect the computer). I tried with another good quality cable and it's the same.
The software I work with is Cubase Pro 9.5 (after updating to probably 9.561). Cuase settings are set to audio priority mode - boost, (audio sheme) - sorry, I don't have it in front of me.
I am asking for help from experienced RME users or someone from RME itself. I admit that I am helpless, I have been struggling with this for 7 years. I haven't been able to make music for 7 years.

2 (edited by ramses 2024-02-29 17:45:02)

Re: Rme Ufx + problem with crackling. Plase HELP!

Performance of the System alone does not solve such issues.
The fastest CPU can be blocked by several things like e.g. bad drivers resulting in too high DPC latencies.
Then the system is fast enough for benchmarks.
But not fast enough to react quick enough on an audio workload which has realtime requirement.
For a simple Benchmark it does not matter when the data is being processed.

For audio the timing is critical, clear?

There are a few root causes for audio drops
- 3rd party chip not supporting USB3 transfer mode well which is used by MADIface driver.
  See UFX III manual which USB3 controller chips are known to work well.
  Try all USB3 ports on your mainboard.
  Maybe this leads you to a better USB3 port coming from chipset or one of the better/supported USB3 controller.
  Good strategy: isolate the UFX III behind an otherwise free USB3 controller or get a separate PCIe USB3 card
  with supported USB3 chipset, e.g. Sonnet card with FL1100 controller.
- BIOS: energy saving not disabled (C-/P-/T-States, C1N).
- Bad energy profile used in Windows, use high Performance or activate Ultimate performance (google for it)
- bad drivers, too high DPC latency (measure with LatencyMon)
- energy saving of nVidia cards, produces audio drops even if DPC latency appears low (only on desktops: disable with powermizer tool)
- thermal issues: CPU throttling caused by heat (observe heat and CPU clock using HWMonitor)

See also:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 00#p214600

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thank you for your substantive answer.

I have one more connection option on my computer, namely via Thunderbolt.
Can you tell me whether the interface will work with this card?

Thunderbolt Cable Connecting Rme UFX PLUS to ASUS ThunderboltEX 4 PCI-E Card?

Referring to the previous thread, my motherboard is
ASUS® ROG STRIX Z790-F GAMING WIFI II (LGA1700, DDR5, PCIe 5.0, Wi-Fi 7)

Can you tell if this should work well with Rme?
One last question, can you give me the exact link to a Sonnet card that would be compatible?

Thank you with all my heart for your time, I feel lost and I don't want to make mistakes anymore. I really hope for help

Thank you and wish you good luck

Jordan

There are a lot of such threads in the forum about how to deal with such a situation, including good background information.
I gave you an intro and some links which contain more information and also further links.

Sorry, but you are asking the wrong questions. Why?
Thunderbolt won't change anything if the root cause is somewhere else.

Make a backup. Measure where you stand now (LatencyMon).
Make a checklist what to look for.
Change only 1 thing and remeasure.

You can get a Sonnet USB3 card with FL1100 chip but it is not sure whether it will help if you had only bad settings in the BIOS. So I would 1st ensure to use proper USB3 port on your computer and whether the settings are ok.
The last measure of resort is, to eventually get this Sonnet card, but this also only helps when the settings are correct and if the computer has not too high DPC.

The Sonnet card has also been mentioned multiple times in the postings and even if you would need to look at Sonnet it won't take more than 3-5 min. The technical specs of each card clearly show you that only 1 card has FL1100 chipset.

If this is all too much work for you, sorry, but then you should have bought a turnkey PC for audio.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thank you for your answer

I don't want to be perceived as lazy. I'm not a professional, I don't know anything about it - I'm talking about equipment and details, and this is where details come into play. I'm afraid of messing something up - making it worse. In fact, it is only thanks to your kindness that I have some ideas on how to look for a solution and to be absolutely honest, at the beginning 7 years ago I undertook this task and after two months of reading, searching and checking, I gave up because I was too poor and I spent my last money on this card, and it was suggested to me removing the motherboard...

Now the situation is different because I bought new equipment with a proven configuration, but something doesn't work and I don't know if the problem is with the interface from the beginning...

Thank you very much for your interest in the topic and know that I am very grateful for any help, I'm just damn damn tired.

Jordan

6 (edited by ramses 2024-03-01 07:58:08)

I can imagine your situation well. However, I only have limited time as I am a private person like you.
You can learn much from reading my postings about that topic.
In a good case of luck, its only a few BIOS settings in the area of energy saving.
Or to ensure that you use High-Performance energy profile in windows.
Or to use a proper USB3 port on your system which comes from Chipset of mainboard and not a 3rd party controller which does not fully work according to USB standards. And .. you have to measure ...
But now I repeat myself again.
The information IS already in this forum, I gave you short overview into the thematic and links.
No need to tell it over and over again, pls be so kind and use the existing resources.

Thank you for your answer.

I completely understand what it's like to be short on time.

Of course I will go through it again, it will take me some time because it is a new computer and I need to get to know it a bit. I will read the threads carefully. If I still have questions, can I ask you to answer them when you have time? It will be a few days before I find out all this.

Thank you again, because I really want to get this over with and close this topic. I start tomorrow. Best regards, I wish you success and thank you again for your time.

Jordan

The forum is the right place to ask. I am not the only person here.