Topic: ADI-2 as a re-clocker?

Has anyone tried to use the ADI-2 to re-clock the signal before passing off to another DAC. The use case I’m think of is this, I have a very nice R2R DAC, I like it a lot! The source is from a PC based player and even though this has no fans and is powered by a low noise linear power supply, its still a PC and so is electrically noisy! The best solution I’ve found is galvanic isolation of the USB to the DAC. There are devices that will do this, network bridge, USB interface and the hi end ones use super accurate Oven Controlled Crystal Oscillator clocks to ‘clean up’ the signal and they are all cheaper than any of the ADI-2’s. But now throw in to the mix the need to do some room correction and the ADI-2 looks likes a more attractive option. The only downside I can see is that the digital outputs don’t include  I²S HDMI or RJ45.

Re: ADI-2 as a re-clocker?

if the r2r dac is running on its internal clock through usb, then there is nothing to gain, only to loose.
Altough the adi eq's are nice an eq in your player will work easily as good and depending on what you use may be more versatile.
If you hear no noise when using your dac there is 0% reason to worry about the PC being electrically noisy.
That is assuming the dac uses assynchronous usb transfer.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

I have a highly resolving system and while you may not hear any 'noise' you can easily hear the difference in source components, DACs and alike, the differences manifest themselves in sound stage depth and imaging. The players I make have no fans, separate linear power supplies for the board 12 v 19v and for the 5v ssd drives, the difference in sound quality compared to a standard PC is huge. Having said that, unless you have a hi end system you won't notice.
You make a good point about EQ in the player and that something I've not considered so will definitely investigate.
Thank for your help

4 (edited by KaiS 2024-03-01 16:19:17)

If you‘re on the fence to spend for an expensive reclocker anyway, RME ADI-2 Pro or ADI-2/4 Pro SE might serve you better.

In the chain:
PC-> USB -> ADI-2 -> Optical -> R2R DAC
ADI-2 would serve as a Femto-Seconds-Reclocker and galvanic isolator, and the DSP offers functions like room EQ.

Besides, once in a while you can use ADI-2 as excellent DA-Converter alternative, and headphone amp.