Topic: Digiface USB questions (standalone, TotalMix iOS app & remote control)

I'm looking into buying a Digiface USB interface but still have some questions to which I could not find an answer.  Hopefully someone more knowledgeable and experienced here can shed his light on these...?

Can the Digiface USB operate in standalone mode (without a computer) as a simple digital mixer?

Can the Digiface USB be controlled via the TotalMix FX mobile iOS app?

Can the Digiface USB be controlled via a hardware controller?

Re: Digiface USB questions (standalone, TotalMix iOS app & remote control)

I try my best, but eventually RME needs to help when I am wrong with my guesses ....

to 1: the handbook tells nothing about standalone operation, so I guess no

to 2: see handbook 22.7 OSC. For iPAD something is available, iPhone eventually, hanbook refers to forum. Seems to be doable.

to 3: see chapter 22.5.. You can i.e. use the ARC USB, it requires a TM FX device, which is the case for Digiface USB

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

1. No stand-alone mode.
2. Not possible, as the unit has no Class Compliant mode, so won't work on an iPad.
3. Same was with any other RME interface using TotalMix FX. MIDI, Mackie, OSC, ARC USB...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

4 (edited by vinark 2017-05-30 06:33:51)

If you want to use it as a simple mixer, a very lowly laptop, with a decent screen for ease of use, will do. Even a windows tablet will do. I know there is post somewhere where MC tells about a cheap windows tablet they/he uses at RME.

Edit:
It was Daniel and it is https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=22228

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

can the digiface USB be used to get from the ADAT connections on my yamaha O2R96 to a USB 2.0 computer for full 32 channel recordings? or is it not meant for that idea? I have an RME digi9652 that I think is failing me in windows 7 32bit, and I want to upgrade to windows 1064 bit anyways BUT there are not drivers for the Digi9652 for 64 bit. I am questing for a work around

In a good case of luck the VISTA 64 drivers might run on Win 7.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

In a good case of luck the VISTA 64 drivers might run on Win 7.

There are no 64-bit drivers for the (non-HDSP) 9652. Not for Vista, not for any other system.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hmm I stumbled this morning over a webpage which looked like there were drivers for Vista, but I can't find it anymore.
ok sorry then.

Curranm wrote:

can the digiface USB be used to get from the ADAT connections on my yamaha O2R96 to a USB 2.0 computer for full 32 channel recordings?

Absolutely! The Digiface USB supports 32 in / 32 out via ADAT plus Phones at sample rates of 44.1 or 48 kHz.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Hello

can Digiface USB be combined together for 64I/O with 2 USB ports?

Yes, if the external hardware feeding the two Digifaces is synced, so that the two Digifaces are as well. Otherwise you have to use one I/O to clock them from one DF to the other.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Good new wink

Thanks MC for the reply

Still no plan to add class compliant capacity to the Digiface ? Is it a matter of firmware or hardware ?

A class compliant Digiface USB would be really great, also for just using it as a mobile headphone dac/amp with iOS.

+1 for class complaint / iOS support.
What a fantastic way to connect my collection of RME ADAT equipped PCs.

One can dream. And in one's dream one doesn't have to deal with the clocking issues.

And one more vote for class compliance for the Digiface USB. smile

+1 for iPad class compliance

Concerning standalone use...

DF may be used without computer in poor man's "standalone mode". If one configures DF and keeps it powered on it works. I use powered USB hub to keep DF powered when computer is off.