Topic: RME Fireface with Neve Master Buss Converter

Dear RME Gurus

A quick question if I may regarding clocking…

I have a (much loved!) Fireface UCXii, and I’m mainly ITB. I do have an external insert on my Sonar master bus, which sends my main mix out to a Neve Master Bus Transformer, for when I’m bouncing down the final mix.

I’m *considering* adding a Neve Master Buss Converter (MBC) to the chain. Partly so that I have an analogue limiter (no need for any more ITB processing?) and partly due to the promise of more pristine audio coming back in (the Neve will send my signal back to the PC via AES). As an extra benefit I guess I could also run my SPL One preamp through the Neve for (hopefully!) higher-quality tracking path.

I have read that the Neve clock is very good and that I would also benefit from connecting the MBC via a BNC to my system (I assume the UCXii). Would I then set the UCXii to slave to the Neve?

My questions are; does all this sound correct? Desirable? Any downsides to consider? 

I know I need to read up on clocking to better understand how it all works!!

For now, SUPER grateful for any thoughts and insights before I put my hand in my pocket.

Thanks and warm regards, Bill Hester

Re: RME Fireface with Neve Master Buss Converter

If possible, use the recording interface that is directly connected to your PC as clock master.
This is from an operational perspective easier, as you only have to select the sample rate in your DAW for the project.
Then the clock slaves sync automatically to the master.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Re: RME Fireface with Neve Master Buss Converter

Many thanks for the kind reply - so the recommendation would be to use my RME Fireface as the clock master?  Would it still be beneficial to connect the Neve MBC via BNC and let that be sync'd up (rather than just running it in isolation)?  Thanks again