Topic: Recording Acoustic direct

I was trying to record an acoustic guitar direct with a 1/4" into Input 3. I am getting a very small wave inside Studio 1. I had to use the Boost function and put the gain to max to get what I think it should be, but then obviously there is a lot of finger noise that clips. Can anyone give me an idea on what I am doing wrong? It feels like I should not have to have any other preamps in front of the RME. I also changed the battery in the pickups on the acoustic to make sure that was the problem either. Thanks for any help!

2 (edited by waedi 2024-03-02 13:40:52)

Re: Recording Acoustic direct

Has this guitar also a volumen knob ?
Some have a knob that can be pushed inside with locking function, needs to push-in again for let it come out.
Open this voumen knob fully.
In the Babyface switch off the boost and open the gain only half should be enough to get a perfect signal.

https://i.ibb.co/2Nkdz9D/poti.jpg

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

It does have volume and it is all the way up. I agree that it should have plenty of power thats why I don't understand whats going on. Thanks for the response!

You didn’t say which RME you have, but I suspect input 3 is line level. Most guitars do not output line level signals, it’s mic/instrument level. You’ll need to use a matching input on your RME or use an external preamp to get to line level.

Those with a 9V battery are line-level.

True, but there are other non 9v battery powered types that are not line level.  Given the issues, we need to know exactly which model they have I guess. In either case I still suggest trying an instrument level input as a debug step.

7 (edited by tehmitt 2024-03-02 14:57:43)

I have a Taylor 814CE. What is an instrument level so I can try that? It seems counterproductive to have input 3 (a 1/4") and not be able to go direct with an acoustic pickup without needing another preamp before the babyface.

Edit - I have the Babyface Pro FS

Ah, I forgot the Babyface 1/4” inputs are already instrument and line level. Sorry.  In TotalMix check the settings for channel 3 in Tools, there is a level setting in there.  If it’s set at +4 try -10 (this may appear counterintuitive, +4 means “input coming in hotter at a +4 level” not “increase 4”). Also, make sure nothing else in TotalMix is reducing levels.

The levels are still extremely low for -10 +4 and boost. What else would be reducing the levels? I would post a screenshot but I'm not entirely sure how.

10 (edited by waedi 2024-03-02 21:08:12)

tehmitt wrote:

The levels are still extremely low for -10 +4 and boost. What else would be reducing the levels? I would post a screenshot but I'm not entirely sure how.

upload the screenshot there : https://imgbb.com
Open the link in your browser, right-click on the image, copy image-address.
Paste this image address here in the forum post in the img-tag.

The guitar does not bring the power. The guitar cable is broken. ?

The input 4 has the same issue ?