1 (edited by Curt962 2024-03-04 04:41:43)

Topic: RME vs DAB

Hey all,

I've been working with a Radio Station (sender) with their DAB Stream.  My old RME has helped to give me the the tools to aid in bringing an entirely new dimension to their product!

Yes!  The RME is that good!

My problem? * I seem to have forgotten the correct interpretation of input levels? * (Dual Meters/Latest FW)   Because of that, I may have been depriving their stream of the Power/Drive it needed. There was an "Oops!" on their end last evening that leads us to a better today! 

No matter.  It's a fun challenge to get a 30yr span of Music to work well on ONE setting.  We had a good day today. 

Sorry, but...I'm getting old, and may internalize these matters more than I should.

Ears still work quite well however, and my "customer" is delighted with the results.

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

Re: RME vs DAB

Hi Curt, DAB is a great thing.
But unclear what your problem is.
To me I interpret the input level in Totalmix very basic, as long the signal is below the zero mark, everything is fine.
When it cross the zero it is clipping and I have to reduce the input gain or the signal in the routing.

I'm sure this is not new for you and your question is something other...?
Do you want to know some conversion formulas dBV / dB / dB per meter... ?
Then you have to ask more specific, the scientists in the forum will surely tell you.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

3 (edited by Curt962 2024-03-05 22:15:39)

Re: RME vs DAB

Hi Waedi.

Not a new thing to me, but through my RME, I was able to give my "customer" good engineering feedback, and we have a really solid "Oldies" stream sounding quite good! 

It was simply my interpretation of the Incoming (PreFX) levels that led me toward being overly cautious with HIS signal levels. 

Well...tonight my Son & I will compare notes.  He's got DigiCheck installed on his side.  (Doesn't work in my particular arrangement) 

We're OK, and I've had to relearn a few things.  No Harm done, and?  My "Customer's Stream" is coming down the best ever via the magic of RME!

*Yes!  DAB is where I live.  It's a wonderful thing!  It makes it easier for me to critique his product from 1000 miles.

Several years ago when RME rolled out the vertical increment markings on the Dual Metering...there were dozens of experts.   Now?  Nobody knows what they are.  ???

Direct your eyes to the dual horizontal meters at the bottom of the image.  See those?   Now look at the vertical markers.

Refresher!   There they are!

https://i.ibb.co/gVTb4wF/20240305-130842.jpg

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes