Topic: Recommendation for Equalizer to use with RME-ADI 2 when streaming DSD

I am enjoying my system:  NAD CS1 (DSD End Pt) ---> RME-ADI 2 FS ---> 2wpc Alan Eaton SET amp ---> Klipsch Heresy IV

I stream Tidal 99% of the time. The combination of DSD, the dead quiet RME; and the low watt (no audible noise) SET amp is nothing but glorious.  The only challenge I have is my room.  It needs a lot of acoustic treatment.  But rather than re-decorate now, I would like to get an EQ to adjust some frequencies (base boost and high freq attenuation).

Does anyone know of a good and quiet equalizer that is reasonable priced that I could install between the RME-ADI and the power amp? 

Any other work around ideas are greatly appreciated.   

Thanks everyone!  I hope my description of my situation and goal makes sense.

Re: Recommendation for Equalizer to use with RME-ADI 2 when streaming DSD

You have an ADI-2 FS, right? Not ADI-2 DAC FS?

Then why not replace it with an ADI-2 DAC FS, which has a built-in equalizer (PEQ)?!
Furthermore, the built-in dynamic loudness is very useful.
Or the possibility to check for end to end lossless transfer of audio with the bit test.

Alternatively, ADI-2 Pro FS if you need analog inputs or even ADI-2/4 Pro SE if you might need to connect a turntable.

All mentioned alternatives/models above just got a very useful remote software called "ADI-2 remote" which got last recently further expansions.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Yes Ramses.  Thank you for your kind reply. 

Please, for everyone on the forum, forgive me for posting this issue and question because it could easily be viewed as off topic, having more to do the speaker than the  ADI-2 FS DAC.  But I would learn a great amount to hear the experiences of veteran audiophiles in this group.

I have the ADI-2 DAC FS.   And I love it.  It is amazing in all ways...plus it is dead quiet.  Best DAC/Pre amp on the market for me.

What I learned is if the INPUT source is DSD  (direct and streaming), the RME disengages the built-in equalizer (and other DSP features I think).  It does it automatically (after you select DSD in SETUP). This has been my experiences also.  I don't fully understand the technical reasons, but that's what I am experiencing.  Maybe the Pro version would be different?

In a few recordings, I wish I had access to bass boost and/or high's attenuation.  That would so so easy to make the sound near perfect. 

Things I have thought of:

-- install room treatments.  I will eventually do that.  But of course, my supervisor (wife) must approve first.

--I have also researched  speaker "attenuators."  I have read about audiophiles that have strategically installed fixed resisters at the right spot near the horn driver to bring the highs down a little.  I wish I had the technical ability (or be able to learn what I need to know) to be able to make and install a variable resister (varister?) that is accessed outside the speaker box.  I have seen others you have installed "L-pads" ?? that do the same thing.  Digging into the electronics of the speakers is scary for me, and likely will never happen unless I find someone near me that knows what they are doing.

--Leave it all alone and enjoy all the recordings that sound wonderful.  Forget about the ones that don't.

--Buy the Pro version of the ADI-2?

Thank you everyone for your great support and insights.  I means a lot.

Rob

Hi Rob.

Apologies, I overlooked that. You're streaming DSD. In that case, you would indeed need a separate EQ.

However, are you aware that DSD content is initially recorded as PCM (analog-to-digital conversion) and mixed and mastered in the regular WAV format?

Therefore, I don't see any real added value or improved audio quality in DSD. After everything is finalized, there's a conversion to the DSD format, making things more complex.

I also have a high-end setup (Accuphase Class-A amp and B&W speakers, as well as excellent studio monitors). I use an ADI-2 Pro FS in front of both environments ("Home Recording Studio" + HiFi area), achieving a quite nice sound quality.
More importantly, I can take advantage of all the fantastic features the ADI-2 Pro offers – Auto Reflevel, dynamic loudness, PEQ (specifically for headphones) are very useful. Also the ability to run the Bit test to ensure lossless audio transmission end-to-end.

Feel free to proceed as you wish; I just wanted to share my experience as both a dedicated musician (guitarist) and someone with an ambitious setup for recording and HiFi.

Take your time exploring and forming your opinion. Perhaps KaiS can provide more insights on this topic; he is a studio professional and contributes excellent posts on related matters in this forum.

Not sure whether you really need attenuators in front of your horns, maybe the PEQ might help already, but sorry, in terms of horn speakers I have no experience, leaving this topic to somebody else.

BTW .. horn speaker systems are / look really cool, sadly I had no occasion yet to listen to such a system, would be interested though wink

Have a pleasant Sunday evening.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Your system sounds great, Rmases!   I had a hard time picking my new amplifier and speakers (I pestered Curt more than once asking him what he was using).  The only thing I was 100% certain of, was I was keeping my RME ADI-2 FS!  Even now, I can not say my new gear will be the last, but the RME will always stay.

You have given me a good idea.  I am going to go back to streaming in the normal format (non-DSD) and see how that is (I have actually not heard it yet.  I went straight to DSD as soon as my new system came in).  I am thinking it will sound as good as DSD, if for no other reason I will have access to the ADI-2 FS's equalizer, which is what I need more than a few more bits of fidelity.

This is a very good discussion for me.  I was stuck thinking and unable to move.  Now I have a plan.  I'll report back with the results.

All the best- always,
Rob

Ramses,

Life is strange sometimes!   I continued to play with the RME and the NAD to the point nothing was working!   Honestly, it would not play a single note. It could have been because I switch to controlling Tidal with my MAC, and not my Android Phone. All the changing and rearranging crashed the entire system. I closed the door to the room and went to bed.

When I got up this morning, I received a mass-email sent out by Tidal that they were making changes - streaming more FLAC.  I was glad to see that...and went forward and re-subscribed.   I then went upstairs to tackle my stereo system.  I started by replacing the RJ45 on my Ethernet cable.  I had used a cheap one to get temporarily set up. I put a much better plug on the cable and plugged it into the NAD.  Click. Nice sound.   I reset everythig to Factory Settings.  I also chose AUTO for the source on the ADI2.  That was the only change I made.  I turned everything off....and back on...and viola!!!

Everything works perfectly.  No external EQ needed. The NAD is working great. The ADI2 FS is performing flawlessly.  I have no idea what format the streaming is in (PCM, DSD, MQA...etc etc).  No idea.  Everything sounds amazing. PLUS.  I can use the EQ on the ADI2 FS!!!  I am now able to make slight adjustments to the highs and lows.  It makes a nice  a  difference.  What a feeling, to have everything working as it should -  for the first time since I starting streaming a month ago.

Thanks for your encouragement and support!

Good to hear that it is working and that you are satisfied, Rob.