Topic: Unequal loudness on headphones.

Using a ADI-2 Pro FS B along with two sets of Focal MG Pro headphones I have noticed that on the setup screen and DigiCheck that there is about a 4-5db difference showing in both the ADI-2 and DigiCheck screens.

It sounds balanced in either set of headphones or if I'm using one set in balanced mode but the displays are showing the left channel as being louder. It doesn't sound louder but that's not what the displays say.

I am totally stumped as to what is going on.

I'm open to suggestions as to what may be causing this and how to fix it.

2 (edited by KaiS 2024-03-05 10:29:17)

Re: Unequal loudness on headphones.

If ADI-2’s meters show different levels left and right this usually is the truth.

• Press the VOL button to check if the current output has the Balance turned off-center.

• ADI-2’s meters set to “Dual” shows input and output at the same time.
This should narrow down the cause:
SETUP / Options / Display / Hor. Meter: Dual

• It could even be from the source you’re feeding, check that too.

• To exclude any ADI-2 mis-settiing you can try a reset:

While powering up, push and hold the VOL button (NOT the VOLUME dial) and Encoder 1, until you see the message: “Reset done.

User Setups and EQ Presets are not deleted.

Or a full factory reset:

While powering up, push and hold the VOL button (NOT the VOLUME dial) and Encoder 1 and Encoder 2, until you see the message: “Reset done“.

All user Setups and EQ Presets are deleted.
Take notes before, or store them through the Remote App, if you want to keep some.

Thanks for the quick reply, KaiS. I appreciate the suggestions and tips.

My feed to the ADI-2 id coming from a Thunderbolt 3 port on a SuperMicro dual XEON Platinum Workstation. Not that it matters since the audio circuitry is bypassed anyway.
Between the computer and the ADI-2 is an Itona 7055-C which I removed to test without it and got the same results. Naturally I reconnected the Itona.
I did double check my balance settings and they are set to 'C' - as always.
Set it to mono and both channels were equal - as expected.
I did think it was odd that I was being shown a 5db difference between channels and that CAN be heard but everything sounded perfect to me.
I did verify that the input levels on both channels were spot on using an oscilliscope. All was good.
Obviously if the sound is 'panned' from side to side you should see it on the displays and hear it.

Here's what I did.

I updated the ADI-2 firmware to 122 and updated DigiCheck as well. Now I only see a 1-2db variance between channels and virtually nobody can hear that. I believe that is normal as there are variences between channels in stereo. That's the whole point of stereo, eh?
Now I believe I am seeing what I believe to be accurate levels on the displays and that may explain why everything always sounded perfect even though I was being shown something else.

Bottom line? All is well and I'm a happy camper.

4 (edited by KaiS 2024-03-05 20:22:34)

I suggest to run RME Bit Test (manual page 94) to check signal integrity.
Takes a few seconds only.

Additionally, a level check with sine waves 100 Hz, 1 kHz and 10 kHz from your source gives a clear picture.

More useful tips that I will surey do - just because.
I never thought to do the internal bit test.

When I tested it with the TekTronix oscilliscope I did a full sine wave sweep from 10hz to 30Khz using TekTronix TekVisa and ArbExpress software

Thanks for your help..