1 (edited by roybird 2024-03-11 11:01:22)

Topic: Am I using spectrum analysis correctly?

A short while back I discovered DIGIcheck and it is becoming a valuable part of my workflow, but to be honest, I'm not 100% certain I am using it correctly. I like to mix as I go and use DIGIcheck totalyser to pick up on things my ears miss while I am sound designing and mixing a new sound/layer to fit into the project.

Typically what i've been doing is visually spotting spikey resonant frequencies in a sound effect/sweep/stab/arp or whatever (like the one circled in the link below) and either pull the volume of those resonant frequencies down with a sharp Q or use a compressior to reign them in to a more balanced looking spectrum, whichever result sounds best for that particular sound. Is this a common technique and considered "good practice" or is this a bit too heavy handed? And are their other/better ways to deal with these resonant frequencies that I may not know about?

I was never taught this technique, I just started doing it because it seemed like a possible solution to tighten up my mixes and manage dynamic range in my projects. Interested to hear how others are working with DIGIcheck in mixing . Cheers! uno online

2 (edited by Babaluma 2024-03-06 08:43:43)

Re: Am I using spectrum analysis correctly?

Trust your ears. Silly to reduce "resonant peaks" you see on an analyser if they sound fine to your ears. What if they are not resonant peaks, but the fundamental frequencies of the instruments in the mix? Mix with your ears, not your eyes. Zero need for any analysers while mixing, IMO, unless you don't have full range monitoring and want to make sure you don't have excessive sub bass, then could be handy for setting a low shelf or HPF.

https://musicwall.app/hermetech