Topic: Fireface UC noises on sonoma after flash update and driver update

Hi,

Specs:
Mac Studio M2 Max
Sonoma
RME Fireface UC

after having updated the latest flash update after having followed all instructions on the RME website for Kernel Extensions (reboot in recovery mode and allow blablabla) my RME Fireface UC cracks constant noises...
I have an old windows pc with Windows XP on which I then switched in PC mode and it works perfectly fine. #
On the Mac I obviously switch to Apple mode.
Reinstalled sonoma too and this didn't help. Unistalled all related files and apps as written in the pdf, reinstalled all drivers and did a reset on the fireface etc... nothing helped.

Downgraded flash version from 127 to 126 on my windows xp and then switched again to mac and didn't help either.
When playing music or any sound from the mac with the mac speakers or airpods the sound is perfectly fine.

Any idea how to solve this?

Re: Fireface UC noises on sonoma after flash update and driver update

Try a different USB port on the M2 Max.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thx. I tried it... did not work

PS: My problem started when I suddenly noticed a high latency when recording, which I didn't have with Sonoma since it was released.
I then installed the latest flash update for the RME Fireface UC. I noticed the Logo of Fireface USB Settings app changed.

Since then, the cracking noises persist.

i tried it on my old Windows XP PC, and it works perfectly fine. On the mac only when selecting the Fireface usb output, the cracks start. as soon as I play any sound.

Tried to downgrade now from driver_usb_mac_331 to driver_usb_mac_318
got the old icons again and still the cracks.
Firrmware was updated to v127 and tried it with 126.
Still cracks.

You might overlook other system changes (like installed tools, updates, connected hardware) that wasn't present before the firmware update. Also the high latency during recording was either a simple buffer size setting, or a plugin like compressor/limiter with look ahead time that was used in the record path. You prooved yourself that driver and firmware change don't cause those cracks.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Just went to a pro shop and tried with another power adapter and another usb adapter on a iMac. Still cracking… so it’s not a change in my setup which did this….
Anyone else who might have an idea?

Hi all,
for everyone. Just got the info from RME directly that Flash update for Fireface UC is broken for Mac and a new version will be released soon.
The whole issue comes from the flash update and had nothing to do with myself...