1 (edited by Klangschneiderei 2024-03-07 18:20:21)

Topic: Used Multiface stopped working after 2 days

Dear forum,

Some months ago i bought a used Multiface with a Hammerfall DSP card Rev 1.8. Upon installing it into my new PC using a "Pcie to PCI"-Adaptor it worked instantly, like new!
But soon my happiness came to an end, after just two days it started lighting the red error-LED and Totalmix says that the multiface is disconnected. I tried re-installing the driver, also different versions, tried flashing the card (shown as "unknown card" in the flash-tool), nothing worked.

Now i've bought a second multiface thinking it could be a hardware issue. But that one doesn't work either sad
It came with a PCMCIA-Card, I tried that one with both Multifaces - no luck, although both cards are properly shown in the Device Manager.

I've run out of solutions, the only thing i can imagine would be a software problem, it can't be that both Multifaces and the different Hdsp cards are all hardware-busted...
I know that there is another thread reporting this Issue occuring after two days of use, but there a hardware-failure is seen as the problem.

Is there anyone who's firm with that problem?
I would be very grateful since i'm still an apprentice and was happy to find a high quality interface that affordable...

Greetings from Germany!
Janne

2 (edited by vinark 2024-03-07 19:12:36)

Re: Used Multiface stopped working after 2 days

Did you try an external power supply for the multiface? Pcie to pci adapter often have not really enough power. Or if there is a power connector on the pcie to pci adapter did you try that?
And also non branded adapters are very fragile in use. I believe startech is the adviced one.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

did you use the same cable for both ?
Try a different, you can use a regular Firewire cable, and you have to use a good external power supply.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Thanks for the suggestions so far!
Yes, i tried thee different FW-cables exept on the PCMCIA-Hdspe card, since that requires a special one.
Also i used two different power supplies aswell as connecting the pcie to psi-adaptor to the Pcs internal power supply.
That pci-adaptor is from CSL, not startech.
Yet the HDSP-Cards are shown in Device manager. Or could there be a Pcie-issue even tho Windows shows them and says they're working properly?

Did you try FUT for the PCI card and for the PCMCIA card ?

Hey waedi,
yes, I tried both. The FUT-tool shows "unknown card" in both cases, so i assume that it is unable to flash them...

7 (edited by waedi 2024-03-07 22:36:29)

Klangschneiderei wrote:

Hey waedi,
yes, I tried both. The FUT-tool shows "unknown card" in both cases, so i assume that it is unable to flash them...

Or you didn't download the right FUT ?

fut_wdm_dsp.zip

I indeed used the fut_wdm_dspe.zip.
Using your suggested file it does flash the card properly!
Still, even after multiple power-cycles none of the multifaces work...

9 (edited by waedi 2024-03-08 01:38:16)

Then we look at the drivers you should use.
What computer OS is it ?
can you find the programs Fireface settings Dialog and Totalmix in your computer ?
Do they open ?

It's the Most recent version of Windows 10 and the up-to-date drivers from RMEs website (I've also tried various older drivers).
TotalMix opens and shows "Multiface (1) - disconnected" in the upper White bar.
Fireface settings i have not actively searched for yet, i will try this afternoon.

Update: The Multiface plus Hdspe PCI-Card (the one i initially bought) works perfectly on an old Windows 7 PC in a native PCI-Slot and with an old driver (hdsp_wdm_3085). Maybe i should try that driver on my new PC?
At least that shows that the RME-Hardware isn't broken.
Also: Using the PCIe to PCI-Bridge on the same old Motherbord, it still works fine.

Yes, of course, try that driver.

13 (edited by oli77sch 2024-03-12 17:59:33)

Hi
This is from the readme file which comes with the FUT:
After the update the cards need to be reset. This is done by powering down and shutting off the PC. A warm boot is not enough.
Have you done the 'cold' reboot?

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

Another Update:
Using the old driver mentioned in my last post and then installing the most recent driver (447) on top of that, the Multiface now works on the new PC! Yay!
Lets hope that it continues its operation for more than two days wink

Thanks everyone for the help!

Greetings from Dresden, Germany smile)
Janne

Another day, and it didn't work again...

What helped was to uninstall all RME-software (driver, Totalmix) and re-install the old driver (hdsp_wdm_3085).
After a restart i could open the Hammerfall-settings and it connected to the IO-box.
This time i wont over-install the new 447-driver on top, i'm just using the old one and will see what happens in the upcoming days.

It seems to me that there is an issue with the new 447-Diver on my particular system since it just wont connect to the IO-box upon startup.  Plus I can't find any seperate settings-app like with the old wdm-driver to connect "manually"...

Maybe someone from RME reads this and has a clue to what is going on with the new driver on my Win10-system.

Best regards!
Janne