1 (edited by rna 2024-03-02 02:59:30)

Topic: Massive fail trying to go back to legacy kernel drivers and to fix

So I was getting some strange random clicks and thought I would try going back to legacy and allowing downgraded security on the install drive.  After going back I could not get the computer to recognise my RayDat card.  Trying to re run the driver kit flash update program would not load.  I tried installing a fresh OS on a different drive but this made no difference.
Luckily I kept my 5,1 Mac which is now a windows machine.  I put the card in there and after first installing the drivers. the windows driver kit flash was able to successfully re flash the card.
When I put it back into my sonnet tech housing it saw it instantly. I was then able to run the Mac flash updater successfully which to it above the windows version.
However the settings app would not work until I re installed DriverKit driver as well.

I hope this helps if someone else make the mistake of trying to downgrade and gets stuck.

matt

Re: Massive fail trying to go back to legacy kernel drivers and to fix

Something here does not make sense, and not giving any version numbers makes the post not much useful. Note that the current Kernel Extension driver 4.25 is fully compatible to the current Driver Kit firmware, so this was not the reason the card was not found.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I didn't know that one could go back to the kernel driver after I changed to the driver kit. 
I am sure all my problems were because I downgraded the flash to legacy mode because I thought that would force me back to a a kernel driver.  (currently on v1.12)

What is the correct procedure if I wanted to switch back to try the kernel driver?
Although I am not ruling out protools for the clicks as we seem to be beta testing for them theses days.

thanks

matt

Simply install the KE driver. Explained in detail in the driver's readme.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Ok I think I get it now.  Thanks for your help.
Do you think there is any benefit to going back kernel drivers?
I am on Ventura 13.4 with my RayDat connected to a sonnet tech thunderbolt PCIe dock to a Mac M1 Pro 2021?

6 (edited by waedi 2024-03-18 03:56:23)

The only big benefit I can see is to make the computer up-to-date.
M1 are super computers, give it the appropriate MacOS (Sonoma 14.4), then try again with the latest RME Driver-kit driver.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue