Topic: Expand Fireface UFX III via Madi w/ 8 Mic Channels

Hello all,

I am thinking back and forth what the best way would be to expand the mic channels (+8 right now) of my fireface UFXIII. As far as I understand there are a few options.
The recording room would be roughly 10-20m away from the Computer, so I guess ADAT might be out of the question.

Example 1: separate Mic preamps (like Audient 880) + Ferrofish Pulse16Mx -> roughly 3500.- €
Example 2: RME 12Mic w/ built in Madi, however it's BNC Madi, UFXIII has optical Madi -> roughly 2500.- €
Example 3:  suggestions?

Suggestions welcome!

2 (edited by ramses 2024-03-16 22:09:05)

Re: Expand Fireface UFX III via Madi w/ 8 Mic Channels

UFX III and 12Mic is a nice combination.

Then remote administration comfortably via either

a) RME connector (based on "MIDI over MADI" or IP)
or
b) via Internet Browser over IP

to a) Using IP has the advantage of having a higher bandwidth available compared to "MIDI over MADI"
which uses only a few free bits in the MADI protocol header.

So, with IP the metering can show both, peak and RMS values:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 94#p212494

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

... maybe getting a used Octamic II would be an option, too? I wonder how far I could stretch ADAT.
And BTW ist it possible to connect the BNC MADI of the 12 Mic with the optical MADI of the UFX III without haven to buy yet another pricy piece of gear?
In that case, maybe Example 1 would turn out cheaper in the end?

ADAT according to standards 10m, but with RME I am even using 15+1=16m, works up to 192 kHz without issues.
UFX III--------------------------------15m-------------------------TOSLINK Switcher----1m----ADI-2 Pro

MADI: up to 2 km between each (!) of the devices; can be connected in a serial fashion (one device to the other and finally back to the UFX III). Multimode fiber patch cables (OM3 or OM4) are available between 0.5 - 50m length. Longer cable runs possible for "in-house cabling".

I recommended the 12Mic because it has the same preamps as the UFX III with 75 dB gain range.
Thought it could be a nice idea to have the same types of preamps with the same capabilities.
Also, for operational reasons, the control via RME connector is really nice.

But at the end of the day you can choose what you want.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

... I just realized that it would also be an option to simply run a XLR multicore for the mics from the recording room and connect all the extra Mic Channels via short-lead ADAT within the control room.
I'd be recording 48kHz only so, I could easily add tons of channels via adat to the UFX III
Duh...

6 (edited by ramses 2024-03-19 08:20:10)

I only want to mention this, of course you have the last decision and it is your money & budget.
A few advantages of MADI.

> I could easily add tons of channels via adat to the UFX III
ADAT: 8 ch @single speed, MADI 64 ch @single speed.
Should your demand change then the connection of more devices and higher sample rates would easily be possible.

Normally, it is more advantageous and easier to use MADI as a multicore. A "slim" multimode fiber optic cable with significantly more leeway in length than multicore and placement of the mic preamp in the recording room.
In the recording room, you can then use short microphone cables from each mic to the 12Mic.
Then remote control via MIDI over MADI using the same multimode fiber cable or alternatively at the device.

Here‘s yet another idea. Soundcraft‘s S32i has a built-in MADI option. However, it’s RJ 45 so I am a little puzzled as to whether it was possible to connect that ti the UFX III

The Soundcraft stagebox has 32 inputs, so it would be an inexpensive way to get more inputs for the RME.

Would that work?

8 (edited by ramses 2024-03-22 12:03:21)

I have no personal experience with RJ-45 based MADI connections, seems to be either "MADI TP" or "MADI AES50",
see this video which shows a MADI converter and splitter box and talks a little bit about MADI.

https://youtu.be/fT79S0-Jpjw?t=328

Such a box is expensive, better buy two 12Mic as then you have the remote control on top (using RME connector) via MIDI over MADI through the MADI cable (alternatively you can also use LAN):

https://www.thomann.de/de/appsys_multiv … 4_mkii.htm €3398

Maybe RME knows other solutions for such a setup with stage box, sorry, here I can't help further.

Thanks!