Topic: Aligning RME ADI-2 DAC FS with Studio Monitoring Levels

Greetings, RME Community,

I'm in the process of fine-tuning my RME ADI-2 DAC FS for use in a professional home studio setting, with the aim of achieving monitoring levels that are consistent with the standards set by the RME ADI-2 Pro model. My setup includes the ADI-2 DAC FS connected via balanced XLR to a Hypex UcD400 amplifier, driving two high-quality studio monitors, ATC SCM20SL. My current reference point is the RME Fireface 800, known for its +4 dBu output level, but my ultimate goal is to ensure my ADI-2 DAC FS aligns with the studio-level monitoring provided by the ADI-2 Pro.

Given the differences in reference level settings between the ADI-2 DAC FS and the ADI-2 Pro—the DAC FS offering +1 dBu, +7 dBu, and +13 dBu, without a direct +4 dBu option—I seek your guidance on configuring my DAC to mirror the Pro version’s studio monitoring environment.

- Initially, with the volume at zero, the auto-reference level function on the DAC FS opts for +13 dBu, which exceeds my desired monitoring level.
- Adjusting the DAC's volume to -6 dBr triggers an automatic shift to +7 dBu. This adjustment closely matches the volume levels I achieve with the Fireface 800, but I wish to understand this mechanism better and ensure it’s the optimal setting for a studio environment as would be the case with the ADI-2 Pro.

1. How does the auto-reference level function decide on the shift from +13 dBu to +7 dBu in relation to volume adjustments, especially considering the amplifier's specs and the goal of replicating ADI-2 Pro’s monitoring level?
2. Are there manual adjustments or settings on the ADI-2 DAC FS that would more precisely achieve the studio monitoring standards of the ADI-2 Pro, given the absence of a direct +4 dBu reference level option?

Hypex UcD400 Specifications:
Output power:
• 200W @ 8Ω < 1% THD+N
• 200W @ 4Ω < 1% THD+N
• Both channels driven
Distortion:  0.01% @ 20Hz - 20kHz up to 100W
Power Bandwidth:  20 - 35kHz
Voltage Gain:  25.5 - 26.5dB
Frequency Response:  10Hz - 50kHz
Minimum Load Impedance:  min 1Ω
Maximum Source Impedance:  max 7kΩ
Output Impedance:
• 20mΩ f < 1kHz
• 150mΩ f < 20kHz
Input Sensitivity:  200W 4Ω @ 1.41V
Input Power:  Depending on load, 470W max
Input Connector:    Stereo XLR

Your expertise and recommendations on achieving a consistent, precise studio-level monitoring setup using the ADI-2 DAC FS, analogous to the ADI-2 Pro’s capabilities, would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge and helping me navigate towards the ideal studio configuration.

Re: Aligning RME ADI-2 DAC FS with Studio Monitoring Levels

I have an ADI-2 Pro feeding my Genelec monitors and use their GLM software for EQ and level compensation based on Dolby specs for the size of my room.  Not sure how you'd do this with your ATC's, but in my case, once GLM has set the appropriate level based on the calibration mic, I play a reference tone and 'calibrate' the ADI-2 Pro at a certain level... say -20dB on the screen... and know that is my working level with plenty oe headroom as I need it.

I don't use the AUTO-REFERENCE level on the ADI-2 Pro, I just use the Genelec software to calibrate and confirm settings after the fact.

Hope this helps!

3 (edited by KaiS 2024-03-24 19:55:02)

Re: Aligning RME ADI-2 DAC FS with Studio Monitoring Levels

Auto Ref Level’s dBr on all ADi-2 devices is always referencing to the maximum nominal (*1) output level of each device and connection.

That is:

ADI-2 Pro and ADI-2/4 Pro SE, XLR and rear TRS: +24 dBu (*2).
ADI-2 DAC XLR: +19 dBu.
ADI-2 DAC RCA: +13 dBu.

From that it’s simple to calculate the volume dial -xx dBr value for a certain output (Auto Ref Level active!).
You can even ignore the Ref Levels show in the display.
Auto Ref Level, if active, automatically selects the Ref Level that has optimum SNR, that’s what it’s about.

I.e. Destination +4 dBu on ADI-2 DAC, XLR out:
0 dBr Volume = +19 dBr
+4 dBu minus 19 dBr = -15 dBr Volume Dial.

(*1) All ADI-2 models have a headroom of 3 dB above the nominal Reference Level that is meant to deal with Inter-Sample-Peaks, ISPs, but can even be used to dial a higher than nominal output.
https://musictech.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Inter-sample-diagram-copy.jpg

(*2) On the Pro’s Rear TRS carries the same level as XLR, but for technical reasons only up to +19 dBu Ref Level.
The Rear TRS can’t put out more than +22 dBu, so can’t do the last, +24 dBu Reference Level step.