1 (edited by klimperguy 2024-03-25 06:39:22)

Topic: Roland RD-700GX -> Babyface Midi -> Notebook Piano Software | no MIDI

Hi,

the whole weekend I tried to get the following working:

Stagepiano Roland RD-700GX -> connected to Babyface MIDI input via DIN cable
Babyface is connected to a notebook via USB.
On the notebook the Painoteq software is running (software Piano driven by MIDI signals).
In Pianoteq the device "Babyface MIDI" is selected and "listen to all channels" is activated.

The Roland is set to factory reset.

Unfortunately I don't get any MIDI signal.

I read the Roland manual and it says, that the notes midi signals are always send out via the midi port (regardless of the "External / Internal" settings of the device).
I read the Babyface manual and it says midi is simply passed through via USB.

Has somebody a hint what I am doing wrongly?

I tried the alternate way to connect the Roland directly to the notebook via its USB output. In that case it works. So I get MIDI notes via direct USB connection but not via DIN cable with the Babyface.

Re: Roland RD-700GX -> Babyface Midi -> Notebook Piano Software | no MIDI

Hi
Could it simply be a bad midi / DIN cable?
Windows or macOS notebook?

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

Thought that as well, but same issue with replacement cable.
It is a Windows 11 notebook.

4 (edited by waedi 2024-03-25 09:44:28)

Download this little programm, it's free :
https://hautetechnique.com/midi/midiview/#download

It is a Midi monitor showing all Midi activities input and output of your computer, Mac and Windows !

Also page 97 in the user manual of the Roland Keyboard :

The RD-700GX provides two MIDI OUT connectors, a MIDI connector whose function can be switched between OUT and THRU, and a USB MIDI connector.
For each zone you can select the MIDI OUT connector or USB MIDI connector from which its data is to be transmitted.

Sure the Midi-port you want to use is set to be an Output, not a Thru-port ? Try all three output connectors.

This is the link to the user manual I was looking :
https://static.roland.com/assets/media/ … 0GX_OM.pdf

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Thanks for help. The manual of the RD was somehow difficult to understand for me. Over the weekend I found this on Page 94:

"Normally, the RD-700GX will transmit note messages from the MIDI OUT connector, but
if you press the [EXTERNAL/INTERNAL] button so the “EXTERNAL” indicator is lit, you’ll
be able to control various settings on your external MIDI device in addition to transmitting
note messages."

So I interpred this as, "you always get the notes midi signals" from the midi OUT ports.

But I checked the settings on top of that yesterday.

The MIDI OUT are all set to ALL. There are three MIDI connectors on the RD-700 plus one USB port. MIDI-OUT3 (DIN) is the one that is THRU by default. MIDI OUT1 and 2 are set to ALL by default. The Babyface is connected to OUT1.

I interpred this like "all midi signals are send to OUT1 and OUT2 but not OUT3 as this is set to THRU." Those settings are relevant if the external button is pressed and the zones are active.
In my case I did exactly that: Midi set to ALL, External button active, Zones all active. Still no midi signal.
External button not active, Zones active = no midi
External button not active, Zones not active = no midi

I tried various combinations of settings, but without luck. Only the classic USB port always transfers the midi notes.

I start to fear that something is wrong with the midi connector on the Babyface. Maybe the cable is broken internally (those tiny cables anyway did not look very robust from the beginning to me).

Will try with the tool you mentioned, but I am not at the notebook right now. Will go there as soon as possible and give feedback.

6 (edited by waedi 2024-03-25 10:37:39)

Usually those keyboards with USB have a setting to Switch ON / OFF the USB and at the same time it enable or disable the MIDI ports.

Page 142
USB Midi thru switch
Make it OFF

klimperguy wrote:

The MIDI OUT are all set to ALL. There are three MIDI connectors on the RD-700 plus one USB port. MIDI-OUT3 (DIN) is the one that is THRU by default. MIDI OUT1 and 2 are set to ALL by default. The Babyface is connected to OUT1.

Only to be sure: on the Babyface the cable has to be plugged into 'MIDI IN'. Sorry, it’s probably clear for you, but there were cases people thinking the wrong way round because they didn’t realise the MIDI connectors on the interface are labelled from 'its own view'…

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

... has to be plugged into 'MIDI IN'. ...

Yes, very good point. Of course it is connected to MIDI IN on the Babyface not OUT like I wrote. But this might help others in case they search for a similar issue like mine.

waedi wrote:

Usually those keyboards with USB have a setting to Switch ON / OFF the USB and at the same time it enable or disable the MIDI ports.

Page 142
USB Midi thru switch
Make it OFF

This seems to be related to MIDI-IN -> MIDI-OUT via USB (independent from the DIN connectors). But anyway it is already set to OFF.

10 (edited by waedi 2024-03-25 12:18:46)

Yes but often keyboards have one or the other active, not both at the same time.
You may have to use the Midi monitor software for locating the issue.
Is Midi-signals arriving the computer ?
The Midi breakout cable may be broken ?

Also check Windows device manager.
Is RME audio device active ? Audio inputs and outputs
Is RME game controller active ? Midi inputs and outputs, try disable and re-enable

Thank you DAW Mastermind.

Guess what, it is working now - without any change of settings.

But I restarted the notebook the 100th time.

Settings of the RD are still at factory default.
Zones are off, Control is set to internal.
And it works like written in the manual. Note signals are coming out of DIN1 without the need to activate zones or external control - the same is true for the USB port. I can even switch the MIDI devices in Pianoteq or the MIDI-Viewer and get notes in any combination.

I don't have a clue why it was not working the whole weekend even though the notebook was restated over and over again.

Anyway, again thanks for the help.