Topic: Brand new ADI-2 DAC FS doesn’t appear to be working properly

Hello and apologies in advance for the long post and if I should be posting this elsewhere.

I received a new ADI-2 DAC FS today and was very excited to start using it.  It doesn’t appear to be working properly as I have sound but nothing on the display.  Here is what I did and has this happened to anyone else before?

Took unit out of the box, attached USB cable to M1 Mac mini, connected power supply.

Unzipped the flash utility (latest version came out yesterday).

Turned on the ADI-2 DAC (the display appeared to be back-lit but it was blank otherwise - I thought that was strange (I was expecting to at least see something on the display).

Flashed the ADI-2 DAC using the flash all option.  The flash utility indicated that everything was successful.  So, I clicked the ‘Quit’ button.

I turned off the ADI-2 DAC and removed the USB cable (I’m going to be using this with a DAP and not from my Mac).

I attached the coaxial cable to the ADI-2 DAC and the other end to the SPDIF on the DAP.

I plugged in some headphones to the Phone output in front of the ADI-2 DAC.

Turned on the ADI-2 DAC (still nothing on the display).

Turned on the DAP and started to play some music.

I heard music coming out of the headphones but it was a bit loud (I played the music without putting on the headphones first).  I put the headphones on and turned the volume knob down on the ADI-2 DAC.  Nothing happened and the display is still back-lit but blank.

I decided to see if I get similar results if I try to play music from my Mac.

So, I attached the USB cable back, turned on the ADI-2 DAC, selected it as my audio device and played some music.

Same thing.  I hear music at a higher volume that I usually use, volume knob not doing anything, display back-lit but still blank.

Removed the plastic from the remote to enable the battery connection and tried to use the remote.  I see a faint blue light on the remote every time I press a button (so, there has to be some kind of battery power available) but nothing happens. I short press the On/Off button on the remote and long press it. Nothing.  Pressed other buttons - still nothing.

I packed the ADI-2 DAC back up and contacted the retailer.  It’s going to be shipped back to them to evaluate the unit.

I’m just wondering if this has happened to anybody else before.

Thanks.

Re: Brand new ADI-2 DAC FS doesn’t appear to be working properly

Blue light on the remote means it is set to the reserved function (see back of it). Change it to ADI-2 DAC FS mode (orange). Display not working seems strange though and that the backlight seems on suggests it is not just turned off but somehow not functioning.

Re: Brand new ADI-2 DAC FS doesn’t appear to be working properly

Try a reset:

While powering up, push and hold the VOL button (NOT the VOLUME dial) and Encoder 1, until you see the message: “Reset done.

User Setups and EQ Presets are not deleted.

Or a full factory reset:

While powering up, push and hold the VOL button (NOT the VOLUME dial) and Encoder 1 and Encoder 2, until you see the message: “Reset done“.

All user Setups and EQ Presets are deleted.
Take notes before, or store them through the Remote App, if you want to keep some.