Topic: RME Fireface 400 and AMS Neve 88M

i have a still wonderfully working fireface 400 with my MBP M1.
i would like to expand and would like to know if this combination would be possible:

FF400 connected to a AMS Neve 88M.

so the AMS Neve 88M would be the main audiointerface connected to my MBP.

could i still use totalmix when recording?
how many inputs off the FF400 could i use when recording in 88kHZ SR?

i don‘t want to buy a new RME audiointerface (yet) as the FF400 still works fine but the Neve would come with 2 classy preamps, newer AD/DA converters, more inputs and so i would get more for money instead of just buying another audiointerface.

Re: RME Fireface 400 and AMS Neve 88M

zinzin wrote:

No.
For using Totalmix the interface has to be connected to the computer.

This Neve box is no comparison at all to a new RME interface.

Buy a RME UCX ll then you have a proper new interface, with more inputs and outputs and higher quality preamps.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

waedi wrote:
zinzin wrote:

No.
For using Totalmix the interface has to be connected to the computer.

This Neve box is no comparison at all to a new RME interface.

Buy a RME UCX ll then you have a proper new interface, with more inputs and outputs and higher quality preamps.

do you consider the RME UCX II preamps and converters superior to the Neve‘s?

Yes

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

5 (edited by ramses 2024-03-30 10:07:06)

With RME you can assume a transparent A/D conversion, a signal is digitized as it was recorded (and vice versa, D/A).

The test report from Amazona reads that the Neve preamp colors. In terms of technical data and features, you are also much better served with a UCX II (in pretty much everything up to the headphone outputs.

What is said to be annoying when using the Neve is that it has no off switch, you have to unplug USB3 and there are interfering signals at the outputs.

Its clear to me that you intend to connect the Neve via ADAT, but just in case you would like to use it as recording interface via USB3 (which is at least needed to give the device bus power) I stumbled about the bad latency values over USB, which means that Neve has not so good drivers.
See the bad latency values over USB3 (also from the UAD)
   https://www.amazona.de/test-ams-neve-88 … rstaerker/
compare this with RME @44.1 kHz using 64 samples buffer
   https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ent … cts-en-de/

My advice: I would sell the FF400 as long as you can get good money for it and use the money to finance a UCX II and skip the neve.

In my opinion, getting an UCX II instead would give you clear advantages over the FF400 alone or in combination with the Neve.

Really good features like
- Room EQ, Crossfeed
- Autoset
- 75 dB gain range of preamps close to those of the UFX II
- DURec
- excellent display giving a good overview
- fast converters with only 5/6 samples latency compared to the 43/48 of the FF400

Regarding the quality of current converters: many people say that the converters of current RME devices sound better than those of the very old devices.

Incidentally, I see it as an advantage to only have one current, high-quality device on the desk.

In the future you can even connect an ADI-2 Pro FS R BE via AES and still have one ADAT port free for further expansions.

Just my $0.02 .. try it out, get both devices (Neve and UCX II) and compare.

If you want a different sound there is always the option to use another Mic or to post-process.
If you want the Neve sound, fair enough, ok, but even then I would look more into something like this:
https://www.thomann.de/de/ams_neve_1073 … amp_eq.htm

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ok danke für die infos. bis auf die latenz steht das neve doch recht gut dar. deshalb wollte ich ja auch totalmix zum monitoring nutzen und die neves als zusätzliche preamps.
ausserdem wäre der neve als tragbares audiointerface interessant. manchmal muss man irgendwo etwas aufnehmen und da reichen 2 mikros. und das FF könnte fix verkabelt im rack bleiben.

7 (edited by ramses 2024-03-31 13:08:52)

Das Neve hat einen stolzen Preis und bietet Dir im Wesentlichen nur "Neve Sound", ansonsten hält es sich mit technischen Daten und Features eher in Grenzen.

Was den mobilen Einsatz anbelangt, wärst Du vermutlich mit der Flexibilität eines Babyface Pro FS in Verbindung mit TotalMix FX besser aufgestellt.

Ich würde mir die Frage stellen, ob man für das Neve so viel Geld ausgeben sollte, wenn der Rest des Gerätes doch nicht ganz so gut abschneidet.

Deswegen würde ich erst einmal die Basis des Setups mit einem UCX II erneuern. Das alleine brächte schon einiges an Qualität, Features und durch USB auch eine gewisse Zukunftssicherheit. Dann das FF400 zur Gegenfinanzierung abverkaufen, solange man noch was dafür bekommt. Eines Tages ist es mit FireWire mal ganz vorbei oder spätestens, wenn das doch schon betagte Gerät den Geist aufgibt. Dann lohnt sich weder Reparatur noch Abverkauf.

Danach würde ich dann das Thema Neve und Neve Sound genauer unter die Lupe zu nehmen.
Möglicherweise wäre es besser, in einen reinrassigen Neve Preamp zu investieren.
Damit hat man sicherlich eine höhere Wertstabilität, als bei einem Interface, das in vielen Dingen nur mittelmäßig ist.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

8 (edited by oli77sch 2024-03-31 15:22:51)

Betreffend mobilem Einsatz sehe ich es wie ramses: Babyface pro FS!
Und um „Neve-Sound“ zu erhalten würde ich einen Preamp analog an das schon vorhandene Fireface 400 anschliessen und los geht’s. Solange du kein Feature des UCX II brauchst und FireWire noch funktioniert, ist da nicht unbedingt ein Neukauf nötig meiner Meinung nach. Das FF400 ist nach wie vor ein tolles Gerät.
EDIT: ok, offenbar gibt es keinen zweikanaligen Preamp von Neve zu einem vergleichbaren Preis gegenüber dem 88M. Entweder auf ein vergleichbares (Klon-) Produkt ausweichen oder das 88M standalone benutzen (Insert-Send-Outputs an analoge Eingänge des Fireface)

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

oli77sch wrote:

Betreffend mobilem Einsatz sehe ich es wie ramses: Babyface pro FS!
Und um „Neve-Sound“ zu erhalten würde ich einen Preamp analog an das schon vorhandene Fireface 400 anschliessen und los geht’s. Solange du kein Feature des UCX II brauchst und FireWire noch funktioniert, ist da nicht unbedingt ein Neukauf nötig meiner Meinung nach. Das FF400 ist nach wie vor ein tolles Gerät.
EDIT: ok, offenbar gibt es keinen zweikanaligen Preamp von Neve zu einem vergleichbaren Preis gegenüber dem 88M. Entweder auf ein vergleichbares (Klon-) Produkt ausweichen oder das 88M standalone benutzen (Insert-Send-Outputs an analoge Eingänge des Fireface)

ja eben, bin hin und hergerissen. weil das FF400 noch gut funktioniert, aber wie lange noch? und hab schon 3 neve preamps (AML und Golden Age Premier). hätte gern für drum recordings noch 2. also käme das Neve 88M relativ „günstig“ daher. für das geld kriegste kaum 2 neve preamps und schon gar kein audionterface inklusive. dachte es wäre von den technischen daten besser und ich hätt was für die zukunft - es ist ja plug&play. also software/driver unabhängig. und mit dem FF400 per adat angeschlossen wären außerdem mehr inputs gewesen …
aber ohne totalmix möcht ich nicht recorden oder leben.
vielleicht probier ichs einfach mal aus …

10 (edited by oli77sch 2024-03-31 20:07:27)

Stichwort Fireface als Standalone-Wandler über ADAT: das funktioniert zwar, benötigt aber vorab eine sorgfältige Einrichtung des Gerätes. Ab und zu wirst Du ausserdem froh sein, zwecks Änderungen (Routing, Clock…) noch einen kompatiblen Computer zur Hand zu haben.
Genau, Du kannst ja beides mal ausprobieren:
88M als Preamp analog am Fireface und 88M als Interface und Fireface standalone.

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2